Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps

I have a 2004 156jts veloce. My key was a bit tatty and the eye for attaching it to the key ring had broken off. I had a be and new blank key that I had bought for a previous 156 I owned, so decided to change the case over. I dismantled the keys and swapped the blade and the pcb from my car into the case from the new key. So all I changed was the black plastic case. Everything else from my car key is the same.

When I tried to use the key, the central locking and alarm all work, but the car wont start. The code light is on and stays on when I try to start the car. Why is this? Did I leave the battery out of the key for too long?

Surely if all I changed was the plastic case, the immobiliser chip in the key would still work?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

D

·
0 Posts
If all you swapped was the pcb and the blade then you also need to swap the code chip ( which is separate to the alarm pcb ).

Its a little black lozenge a few mm long

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If all you swapped was the pcb and the blade then you also need to swap the code chip ( which is separate to the alarm pcb ).

Its a little black lozenge a few mm long
I agree ,best way to make sure is find your old case with chip in and hold it in your hand when you try to start the car ,some where close to the ignition switch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the exact same problem. But after many hours I figured out. In the corner is the transponder, a little magnet little thing, its grey. That needs to be transferred over and is unique to every car.

This should sort it out! I should have a thread somewhere in the past which shows what the bit exactly looks like if you're struggling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Problem exactly as you said. All sorted and up and running again. Long live alfaowner.com!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a problem too

Hi! can anybody halp me?
On my only alfa 156 key PCB is something missing, maybe resistor, i dont know.
This is picture of my PCB?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Completely separate to the PCB in your pic is a tiny little grey pill like thing which is for the immobiliser. It sits in the corner of the key case not attached to the PCB. Without this the car will not start.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If you lose the immobiliser transponder you can either buy a new key from Alfa (very expensive) or get from a scrap car same as yours a matched set of keys, engine ECU, and code box.

If you still have one working key, you can get an automotive locksmith to code a new aftermarket key for you.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If you lose the immobiliser transponder you can either buy a new key from Alfa (very expensive) or get from a scrap car same as yours a matched set of keys, engine ECU, and code box.

If you still have one working key, you can get an automotive locksmith to code a new aftermarket key for you.

A locksmith can only clone the glass tube type immobiliser chip, if you have the black lozenge they won't be able to. Its not impossible but it means reading ECU codes direct from the ECU chip and all sorts of over-complex stuff so frankly with the hassle and cost its better to go down one of the other routes suggested - new key or set from a scrapper.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hi! can anybody halp me?
On my only alfa 156 key PCB is something missing, maybe resistor, i dont know.
This is picture of my PCB?
Yes you are missing a large capacitor and without that the circuit will not be transmitting correctly. Get a scrap circuit and take one from there if you are any good at soldering.
If you are stuck I can fix it for you:
Repair Link

Chris

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I had my later type code 3(?) flip key blade and transponder copied by a locksmith - tricky technology as you say but they did it in 15 mins and it works perfectly. Cost the equivalent of about 90 quid so not cheap but still an option to consider.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I had my later type code 3(?) flip key blade and transponder copied by a locksmith - tricky technology as you say but they did it in 15 mins and it works perfectly. Cost the equivalent of about 90 quid so not cheap but still an option to consider.
Yep, you have the glass tube megamos version. They are ok to clone.

As Alfa love using the parts up before moving on to the next design you do get some cross-over between the types of immobiliser in keys by year and model, but as Rockhopper says *usually* if you have a type 2 oh dear and a type 3 you are ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts