Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alfa 156 2.0 JTS 2002 107k km(looks that is real) around 2-3k km a go started rattle sound on warm up engine. I changed oil but rattle didn't stop. This noise is alway at idle rpm and dissapear at around 2-2.5k rpm. Last time i even made over 600km trip without problem. No errors in multiecuscan, engine have power, easy accelerate to top speed. At 10k km used around 1.5L oil (selenia racing 10w-60)
. What can generate this sound only on warm engine ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ac doesn't work - no gas inside, exhoust in poor condition secend muffler has little hole, soon need to replace. Can be this a catalic conventers or this cover on it ? But so far no errors on o2 sensors...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The A/C pulley is freewheeling and has a clutch and bearing in it. I also think this may be at fault.

I appreciate the A/C doesn't work but you can still eliminate/confirm if the pulley is faulty.

A single wire goes to the A/C compressor from under the plastic engine cover. There is a connector near the compressor. Disconnect this and hook up a wire to the battery positive. Do this for test purposes only. If the noise changes/goes away, it is the A/C compressor. In that case, either fix the A/C or remove the compressor. You will need a 15mm ring spanner to push the belt dynamic tensioner out of the way to remove the belt. It is accessed from the wheel arch. The wheel and splash shield need to be removed.

If you simply want to remove the compressor, you will also need to remove the idler pulley between the compressor and the crankshaft pulley.

A shorter belt will then be needed. The size is a 6PK1060.

Alternatively, change the A/C compressor.

If the noise does not change when testing, I'd still remove the auxiliary belt to see if the fault us there or inside the cam belt cover (which I doubt).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for reply. I will check this when I will have free time and I will reply what was it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts