Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys well I nearly just have away my 156jtdm sport for next to nothing but have decided it's got to be worth one last crack at the issue.

So the car over heats, never gets to the red light but sits around 110 and go up and back down, I only driven it for 5 mins

So had a new rad and thermostat and first test run the car over heats, dad bleed the system and still over heated.

Anyway spent a hour today trying to trace it down to something and I'm hoping it's this fan that's not kicking in, the passenger side fan doesn't kick in, the passenger side does, feeling the radiator it's really hot on the passenger side and cool on the driver side

If only one of the fans is working would this cause the car to over heat even on short trips? Thanks Jon

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
it could... Does the 2nd speed work on both fans ?
if it's only the lower speed on 1 fan that doesn't work, it's probably the resistor for that fan thats knackered.....
(as a test, if you switch on the airco, fans should run continuously at first speed)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I wouldn't have thought the fans would be be required in the UK, car shouldn't ever get that hot especially after only 5 mins. Fan has certainly never come on on my 147 and the temperature has never gone higher than 90C. The fact the outlet from the radiator is cool suggests it's more a lack of cooling flow through the radiator/block, i.e. does the water pump work properly or is there an airlock limiting the flow somewhere ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts