Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old Alfa 156 (2.5litre) has introduced an intermittent failure to start. When the failure occurs the yellow key warning light does not appear at all; engine turns etc but no start. Garage has already failed to find any fault on the log and has no answer. It works again an hour or day or so later. I accept it is difficult to repair when it works but the unreliability renders car too unreliable to use much.

It has happened 5 times over the last 2 weeks and twice a month or so before that. My guess is that the decoder/aerial system is OK and that the fault is further back down the line.

Any suggestions as to where to look?

L

·
0 Posts
look at the fuse panel, to the right hand side of your steering wheel, check the SERVICEs fuse. one could be loose or corroded.

L

·
0 Posts
check realys at the front of the battery, one coudl be faulty or else the wires underneath in the base broken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that.

I have, however, already checked and the wiring seems fine; I have also swapped the relays around but the same problem reccurred.

L

·
0 Posts
ok, check earth strap on the gear box & the engine head. the ecu is in the foot well, have you checked that its secure & the various connectors are properly plugged in. disconenct battery when checking.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Make sure your battery is in good health....Alfas electrics HATE dodgy batteries !!!

When engine refuses to start does key code come on at all ? If not,perhaps it's the crank sensor that's on it's way out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery is brand new so should be OK. Key code light does not come on at all when non-start fault occurs.

I will try both of the above lots of suggestions over next few days and report back.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have similar problem on my JTD except so far it's always gone 2nd try. The electrics are horrible around the battery with everthing corroded and I pulled the relays out cleaned everything and it was fine for about 6 weeks. I guess I'll have to have another go, might be worth a very careful look on yours too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Garage has kept car for over a week hoping that it would fail to start so that they might have a chance of finding something wrong - but it has not failed to start even once! Neither I nor they can get a single explanation from any quarter of what it could actually mean if the yellow key warning light does not come on. There are plenty of explanations for when the light comes on and does not go off but not if it fails to come on in the first place.

All of the suggestions from other readers so far are much appreciated and my garage, who are very conscientious engineers but with not much experience of Alfas, has applied them and checked all the connections, earths etc as suggested and all were found to be good and clean. Battery has also been replaced. The problem now is the unpredictability of starting and not having a clue as to what to do about it or what it could mean when the key light does not appear - surely somebody somewhere knows what it means when this happens? The car runs beautifully except when it doesn't start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts