Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2005 facelift 156 and recently had an odd problem develop with the indicators. They work fine for a bit but after driving for a while they stop flashing and instead stay lit constantly when they are selected. Right, left and hazards all do this. If you then turn the ignition off and restart the car they work normally for a bit then back to no flashing.

I've seen a couple of post that mention a similar situation and that either the indicator relay on the steering column or the body control module behind the radio could be the the causes, but all these threads seem to peter out before they actually get the indicators working again.

Has any one had a similar situation and solved it?

Many thanks,
Colin

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
156 is not CanBus so has no body computer. For older type circuits as in the 156, this is classic relay failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I've now ordered a new relay so will give that a go. Annoyingly it looks like the steering wheel has to come off to fit it.

Many thanks,
Colin

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
It was years ago since I was around that part of the car. I don't think it is very difficult but removing the steering wheel boss needs an Allen key to slacken the bolts on the far side of the steering wheel. Disconnect the battery earth lead first.

The steering wheel can sometimes be difficult to remove as it gets locked on the splines. Mark relative position of wheel to column with paint stick /Tippex. You may need to leave it a while or shocking it can help but normally it just needs force applied to remove it with a wobbling motion.

Awkward but not hard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, you're right the indicator relay swap and taking the steering wheel off was really pretty straightforward. There's a good thread here that I found gives a very detailed how to:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alf...156-indicator-relay-with-vdc.html#post9059274

It didn't solve the problem unfortunately. The HELLA 4DB 003 750-711 relay that I'd bought as a replacement fitted and worked for the indicators there ended up with a weird issue that the hazards would only work if the indicators were also on. The above thread also mentions a similar issue and it seems you need a very specific relay to get things working normally. I ended up taking the old one apart and giving it a spray with switch cleaner and it's worked fine so far. Alfaworkshop list a genuine Alfa one in their parts shop for about £20 so I'll give that a go if it fails again.

Colin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts