Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Got an issue with my alarmsystem on my 156 GTA. As I bought the car, the siren wasn´t working. No sound at all, but it blinked as I opened the door. I couldn´t set it with the key, but it sets itself after 30s.
However, I used AlfaOBD to see what´s wrong. Tried to set the siren, but no sound. So I thought, that it has to be defect. Or at least the batterypack inside. Luckyly I found a brand new alarmunit for a very low price an bought it. Went to the car, attached it and it made a few beep sounds.
But as I tried to lock the doors with the key, there was still no sound. So I played around a bit, even with the contact of the bonnet. The alarm went off, as I pressed the contact and was silent, when i released it. But after this, the siren makes no sound at all. No beep, no alarm- nothing. No blink.
If I test the Siren in AlfaOBD it makes a beep sound. So the Siren must be ok.

Now... as I checked the system status of the alarm it says "Status ECU: Not programmed" and "Emergency key: enabled" (have to translate it from German..)
What´s about this? Do I have to programme something (or the dealer)?

Thanks in advance

Roland

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,281 Posts
From my experience with a 916 alarm unit you can't just replace the siren/ecu. It needs to be programmed with the alarm code from your remote receiver/body computer. It probably is expecting the code of the car it was previously installed in.

Granted the p2 156 alarm and the Spider alarm (red single button key) aren't the same but I believe the principles would be similar.

The 916 sold in SA and the 156 p1 used the same alarm system I believe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
News!

A friend of mine had an examiner, so we managed to programme the alarm system. But it still doesn't work. :-(
Alfa OBD says that the system is programmed but the emergency key is still on. But the GTA doesn't have a lock where to activate or deactivate it. Is there another possibility?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Got it sorted already?
I am diving into this now as well, since my alarm has stopped working now my car has returned from repaint...

As you can read here, there is an activation key in the fuse box, but it requires a specific key which is not delivered with the car:
http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22665

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
On the 916/156 phase 1 alarm unit there is a key hole switch on the the body of the siren/ecu. Apparently on the 145 (and maybe the 156 p1) the key switch is located elsewhere. This allows you to turn the alarm system on and off. This is normally used if the alarm is faulty or the car is to be parked for a long time.

That being said my 147 does not have a key switch. The early (red, single button key) cars have different alarm systems to the later (black flip key) type cars. As far as I'm aware the red key cars are pre-CANBUS and the black, flip key post-CANBUS.

Maybe look at this thread on the 145 forum. It may not directly help you but I found it very informative and GiallioEvo helped me a great deal getting my 916 alarm system working.

Alarm / Central Locking: Programming Remote Controls Into The Remote Receiver - Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum

·
Registered
380 Posts
on my Netherlands 156, there is no activation key hole next to the OBD output.
So indeed it depends from market to market.

That said: I hoped to be able to re-enable the alarm via MultiEcuScan, but couldn't find the option...
Anybody some tips?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The alarm deactivation key is for pre-CANBUS cars only! A far as I'm aware all GTA's are CANBUS cars. This means that the alarm module communicates with the body computer on your car.

I've included pages of the owners manual of a pre-CANBUS car showing the key set with the alarm deactivation key and the deactivation procedure. I've also included the pages for deactivation on a CANBUS car which doesn't require a special key.

Does the odometer flash on startup? This shows a CANBUS communications error. Remember the body computer needs to have a record of the alarm modules ID tag. In all of Alfa workshop manuals I've read it specifically states that alarm modules, remote central receivers and body computers (immobiliser units on pre-CAN cars) cannot be swapped between cars. This is because they become an electronically matched set on first activation. The only way around this is to buy a new, unmatched unit which is matched to your car on installation and power up OR find someone who can 'virginize' a used unit.

When any new module is added to the CANBUS network you need to perform a proxy alignment so that the existing modules on the network recognise the new module. it's also possible that when playing with the bonnet contact you may have changed the alarm country code to one that doesn't beep and flashes the lights only.

I hope that helps

EDIT# I uploaded the pictures the right way up. Not sure why they posted on their sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
But remember that no 156 is CANBUS (only 147 and GT) and 156's don't have body computers or require proxy alignment.

The changes are probably from the early system with red key to later system with black flip key.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Ahhh I was under the impression facelifted interior 156's with black Keys/dual zone climate/asr etc and beyond used the CANBUS. Ignore my previous post then :thumbup:

I've only owned 916 series cars (pre-CANBUS) and a 147 (CANBUS) I thought the 156 phase one started out as pre-CANBUS and moved to CANBUS with the interior updated and the adding of all the features like dual climate, asr etc etc. However I suppose the 166 wasn't a CAN vehicle?

·
Registered
39 Posts
156 black remote. I'm in the position of having two remote/keys, one repaired and one new from Monza sports. They said the keys are fine but the transceiver must be duff. I've got a dead 156 (Going free, see separate tread) My question is where is the transceiver located, can I swap them over and can it be programmed to my keys?
Cheers,
Pete.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts