Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I have a 156 Gta for over 6 years now. It is one from 2004 and has 65 tkm.
Now I have two little childs 2 and 4 years old and I don't want to sell the car.
I want a little bit more comfortable driving and want to change my suspension/dampers without lowering the car and without changing the actual wheel dimensions and without selling the car of course.

I read a lot of koni fsd dampers....are these really the best way to go to make the Gta more smoother and family friendly?
Or are the Bilstein B16 coilovers in the smoothest position the way to go?
What is your recommendation?

ciao giuse

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8x19" front
9x19" back
235/35 19 tires
I have to say and this is how I feel is that the 19" Hankook S1 evo are more comfortable than my 17" Pirelli Winter tires.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The Koni FSDs are designed to be used with stock springs. Most here though who have installed them have removed the stock kit and fitted them with aftermarket Eibach lowering springs. But that is lowering the car 10-15mm I believe, not sure that would be good with those wheels installed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, but do you have with the koni fsd the smoothest setup for the GTA in combination with standard or with eibach springs? Or is there an other alternative?
The spring rates are also different so I suggest a very different handling between the two springs.
What are your experiences......

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
the FSD is a good choice for an all-round win.

some people prefer coilovers for a stiffer ride, but it's personal preference. I got a set of coilovers on the cheap, if i hadn't i would probably have gone for FSDs.

coilovers will lower the car too - i dont believe the FSDs affect the ride height unless coupled with lowering springs. somebody correct me if im wrong.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ok guys if we look past the issue of the wheels what can we advise on the suspension yeah :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi,
thanks for the answers, but don't give the wheels the guilt.

I have also 17" tires and want to have here also more comfort. Just want to know what suspension works good in the gta for more comfortable driving.
When it works well with 17" wheels it will work with 19" wheels. Thats my opinion.

Or do you have 15" and 16" rims??

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
hi,
thanks for the answers, but don't give the wheels the guilt.

I have also 17" tires and want to have here also more comfort. Just want to know what suspension works good in the gta for more comfortable driving.
When it works well with 17" wheels it will work with 19" wheels. Thats my opinion.

Or do you have 15" and 16" rims??
I would have suggested the autodelta sport comfort shocks which I have on my 156 JTD but they don't spec them for the GTA. I'm sure if you contacted Jano he'd be able to offer them set up for the GTA though but it would be costly for sure :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Fair point Joss, but my car is on standard suspension on standard wheels, and is more than comfortable, as is yours I'd imagine.
Very true but my wagon rides better and smoother even with the 60mm drop :cool:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've got koni sports shocks that are adjustable all round, so you can have them firm or soft, which the Koni fsd's don't have, they are just firm all the time I think? At the moment I've got standard springs, but am getting the eibach pro springs soon, as the standard springs are a bit too high and wallowy in the bends, I want it more squat!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I've got koni sports shocks that are adjustable all round, so you can have them firm or soft, which the Koni fsd's don't have, they are just firm all the time I think? At the moment I've got standard springs, but am getting the eibach pro springs soon, as the standard springs are a bit too high and wallowy in the bends, I want it more squat!
Get sportline. It'll look and handle even better

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Would it not rub on the arches if it were dropped 50mm?
Do you have spacers. If not then no :). Your drive might be tricky though :lol;

1 - 20 of 68 Posts