Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title indicates, does any og you have or know where to find a new or used ECU for 156 GTA?

The one in my car is dead and cannot be fixed :confused:

Hope you can help!
Regards Allan

·
Registered
581 Posts
It looks like the same ECU in both pictures only the one on Alfa workshop comes at a much cheaper price and includes the wiring loom to my eyes, pictures can be deceiving though.

Did you try this?
3.2 Busso ECU repair

It's done on a 147 GTA but the procedure is the same on all the 3.2s to my knowledge.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have head of people who have had their ECU repaired by a company called ECU Testing. May be worth a look as cheaper than a replacement if it can be repaired.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have just spoken to Jamie at Alfaworkshop about this ECU, sounds like its the full autolusso package with wiring at a much cheaper price. There is enough extra loom to relocate the ecu to the battery and stop it from ever being cooked again, and its supplied with software to remap the hell out of it if you like but comes with a 270bhp map as standard, quite a bit of kit by the sounds!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the same ECU in both pictures only the one on Alfa workshop comes at a much cheaper price and includes the wiring loom to my eyes, pictures can be deceiving though.

Did you try this?
3.2 Busso ECU repair

It's done on a 147 GTA but the procedure is the same on all the 3.2s to my knowledge.

Good luck
Previous owner tried this - but screwdriver through the printboard is not part of the repair procedure, it´s dead for sure :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just spoken to Jamie at Alfaworkshop about this ECU, sounds like its the full autolusso package with wiring at a much cheaper price. There is enough extra loom to relocate the ecu to the battery and stop it from ever being cooked again, and its supplied with software to remap the hell out of it if you like but comes with a 270bhp map as standard, quite a bit of kit by the sounds!
Thats interesting info I have written to Jamie/Alfaworkshop if it was the same kit as Autolusso, just havn´t recieved answer yet.
I assume it´s the same kit as Autolusso has developed, at least based on pictures but could be that Alfaworkshop developed their own - do not know their relation.

But if it the same kit then they both have the advantage of +20bhp, but also the disadvantages of no cruise control & code light stays on (Acc. to Autolusso.)

@samstagmoonyham thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Allan

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
i think the ecu autolusso use is a link G4 So im guessing jamie does as well..

when i looked into this emerald also do an ecu at around 650 with map and added cost for loam very simialr.. also used are avaible from a few breakers on facebook but tend to be as much as a new custom ecu with all its afdded bebfits .. dont know about cruise control and code light ..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thats interesting info I have written to Jamie/Alfaworkshop if it was the same kit as Autolusso, just havn´t recieved answer yet.
I assume it´s the same kit as Autolusso has developed, at least based on pictures but could be that Alfaworkshop developed their own - do not know their relation.

But if it the same kit then they both have the advantage of +20bhp, but also the disadvantages of no cruise control & code light stays on (Acc. to Autolusso.)

@samstagmoonyham thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Allan
No problem

A screwdriver through the PCB? 🤣 I know electronics can be frustrating but cmon 😅

The pictures definitely show the same unit there, but who knows eh?

Coming with the plug and play loom at £1800 is quite the discount though. They are just waiting for the supplier to make some more over the next few weeks.

And yes he said the cruise doesn't work and the code light stays on (I don't think the 147 has a code light luckily) but can't you remove the bulb for it on the 156? I'm not as familiar with them having only sat in a 156 once for a couple of minutes.

As for the cruise, I don't know if you feel the same way as I do, but the GTA is such a driver's car I'd never use it, it's too much fun! In actual fact the cruise on mine hasn't worked since I brought it 2 years ago, I think the switch under the clutch has failed, but it has no value to me on the GTA, and I normally like everything working lol

·
Registered
581 Posts
i think the ecu autolusso use is a link G4 So im guessing jamie does as well..

when i looked into this emerald also do an ecu at around 650 with map and added cost for loam very simialr.. also used are avaible from a few breakers on facebook but tend to be as much as a new custom ecu with all its afdded bebfits .. dont know about cruise control and code light ..
It's a Delta ECU that autolusso use, one of their boys told me and thats what the pictures show so I reckon it's safe to say that's what you'd get if you order one, liking the sound of this emerald unit at 1/3 the price again though!!!

Don't you also have to go through the process of re-virginising a used ECU.

A very good old Alfa mechanic told me you can also fiddle a 156 2.5 ECU to work on a GTA if needed, but they are probably even rarer now, idk.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts

yes just had a look but was using a link unit.. maybe whuy the price has risen

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
It's a Delta ECU that autolusso use, one of their boys told me and thats what the pictures show so I reckon it's safe to say that's what you'd get if you order one, liking the sound of this emerald unit at 1/3 the price again though!!!

Don't you also have to go through the process of re-virginising a used ECU.

A very good old Alfa mechanic told me you can also fiddle a 156 2.5 ECU to work on a GTA if needed, but they are probably even rarer now, idk.
dave at emerald enginneering who writes for CCC magazines designed the emerald and has fitted a few to alfa v6,s usually in statos replicas iirc.. and can be had cheap on the ebay. last time i enquired they had a loom etc and maps for a standard engine.. i then got my ecu fixed so went no further but its on my to do list for the furture

·
Registered
581 Posts

yes just had a look but was using a link unit.. maybe whuy the price has risen
Do emerald have a GTA unit off the shelf or do they want your car in to make it up, if they have already prototyped it and got a working design perhaps we should all think about giving them our custom at some point, it's expensive but £650 is a drop in the ocean in comparison to how much I thought I would have to pay if mine went wrong (touch wood) just yesterday!

@All j do you have the original CF3 catalysed manifolds on your car still, because if you do, when you get an ECU sorted out, whatever the solution don't put the ECU back there, cushion strap it to the battery or something, those cats absolutely cook the ECU above and more than likely the head gasket too.

Such a highly strung engine should never of had 4 cats in it, but law is law.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Do emerald have a GTA unit off the shelf or do they want your car in to make it up, if they have already prototyped it and got a working design perhaps we should all think about giving them our custom at some point, it's expensive but £650 is a drop in the ocean in comparison to how much I thought I would have to pay if mine went wrong (touch wood) just yesterday!
i think they have a map and make loams to order but last i enquired was 6 years ago and just thought it was there when or if i need one..

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
I have ran a 156 GTA on a 156 2.5 V6 CF3 ECU before but you do get various faults both on the engine ECU and ABS system, I can't think how you'd ever resolve them as they don't communicate properly. Early 156 V6 CF3 has no VDC/ASR, late 156 V6 CF3 has VDC. 156 GTA has ASR only.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
IDK if this may help with a late 2.5 but given that the VDC that was used in 156s is simply rubbish, I have been thinking about what circuitry I'd need to produce to feed back permanent null signals in place of steering angle sensor and yaw sensor.

It may be an extra complication for someone doing a module conversion but I was wondering if that may be enough. Obviously it depends on exactly what fault codes are produced and in which modules to determine exactly what warning lamps are switched on but I had started to think of a way around a lackluster system.

·
Registered
179 Posts
And yes he said the cruise doesn't work and the code light stays on (I don't think the 147 has a code light luckily) but can't you remove the bulb for it on the 156? I'm not as familiar with them having only sat in a 156 once for a couple of minutes.
The CODE check light is not a bulb but an LED. However, it is possible to disassemble the check light unit and de-solder the LED. Normally what I would do is just de-solder one of the lead and leave the other lead connected. This way I could very easily revert back to having the light if I wanted to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have ran a 156 GTA on a 156 2.5 V6 CF3 ECU before but you do get various faults both on the engine ECU and ABS system, I can't think how you'd ever resolve them as they don't communicate properly. Early 156 V6 CF3 has no VDC/ASR, late 156 V6 CF3 has VDC. 156 GTA has ASR only.
Thats my setup until I have a replacement ECU, however it´s a CF3 ECU 3.0 from a GTV.
It realy doesn't run smooth ASR & engine management lights are on, so only for necessecary moving

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
No problem

A screwdriver through the PCB? 🤣 I know electronics can be frustrating but cmon 😅

The pictures definitely show the same unit there, but who knows eh?

Coming with the plug and play loom at £1800 is quite the discount though. They are just waiting for the supplier to make some more over the next few weeks.

As for the cruise, I don't know if you feel the same way as I do, but the GTA is such a driver's car I'd never use it, it's too much fun! In actual fact the cruise on mine hasn't worked since I brought it 2 years ago, I think the switch under the clutch has failed, but it has no value to me on the GTA, and I normally like everything working lol
Agree, code light can be disabled - or you get far with black electrician tape ;) & cruise control I can live without. But just good to know rather than getting disapionted.
Sounds like the kits from both are the same, It´s an expensive kit whereever you buy it. But proberbly it can last the lifetime of the car, rather than a used original or new original. At some point they will become defect, however many companies are specialized in reparing them.

So perhaps just a question if you are a purist or not, having the OEM Bosch ECU with standard setup or the the Delta 800 with +20bhp. Many say that the original setup with give the best value when selling the car.
But to be honest, hope I never have to sell the 156 GTA it´s a hobby car and I absolutely love the design, sound and the feeling it gives every time I am behind the steering wheel :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

@All j do you have the original CF3 catalysed manifolds on your car still, because if you do, when you get an ECU sorted out, whatever the solution don't put the ECU back there, cushion strap it to the battery or something, those cats absolutely cook the ECU above and more than likely the head gasket too.

Such a highly strung engine should never of had 4 cats in it, but law is law.
Can´t find much much info on Emerald for Busso V6, so I asume they didn´t continue with that.

Yes, the GTA is still with the CF3 standard catalysed setup - I agree the location on the back of the plenum is bad both due to engine vibrations and heat. With the Delta 800 setup there should be enough cable the place the ecu between the battery and the abs module, which I belive is a better location.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts