Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Ok so battery light lit up on dash. Checked voltage and I am getting none from when car idles or when revved. Alternator is not charging at all.
Car is 125k miles so I have decided to replace it.

Excuses I have got laryngitis and it effin cold outside but I need mycar fixed. Lets hope this doesn't kill me!

THought I could look at removing from inner arch, but no way is that gonna happen.
So I gonna have drop subframe. Wooopeeee.
Any hints or tips lads?
Otherwise I just gonna get started and try not to go as far as I did when I removed engine last year haha

Will

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Yes, it's a dropped subframe job. There is a guide somewhere on the internet which tells you how to loosen the alternator, turn it around in situ, remove the regulator so you can replace just that if you want to chance it. Doing that, you don't need to drop the subframe.

·
Administrator
46,707 Posts
will, look at some of my threads from about a year ago. There was a tip in there somewhere suggesting you can get it out complete by leaning the engine slightly I think.

My garage, not knowing that, did the regulator change as suggested above. My experience (from a sample size of 1 only of course) is that I then had to replace the entire thing anyway a month or so later because it didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Definitely do-able without dropping subframe, just by tilting engine. Mine was done this way about 4 months ago (not by me). Which is good as it was less labour cost!

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Definitely do-able without dropping subframe, just by tilting engine. Mine was done this way about 4 months ago (not by me). Which is good as it was less labour cost!
Presumably every mount undone except for the gearbox casing to N/S/F chassis leg mount?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Presumably every mount undone except for the gearbox casing to N/S/F chassis leg mount?
Which is bloody scary when you're underneath it.

Still not done this job myself but blackcap was saying that to get it out; drop the subframe and take it of the offside mounts to gain clearance.

You may also need to pull the mid shaft out.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Which is bloody scary when you're underneath it.

Still not done this job myself but blackcap was saying that to get it out; drop the subframe and take it of the offside mounts to gain clearance.

You may also need to pull the mid shaft out.
Yeah that method is not for me. If another garage wants to give it a whirl, fair enough. I'll stick with subframe off method.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay after 20mins outside I just knew I wouldn't last long.
Therefore I decided I would try replacing the regulator.
I had another alternator for Alfa so swapped them over.
The moving of alternator is easy. The undoing and re bolting of the wiring was a nightmare.
4.5hrs job and it fixed.

I am now going to.take the other alt. I have and replace bearings. Clean up and fit a new regulator. Then next time it will be done properly. Probably do at same time as coilovers and fitting other parts.

Reactions: valinco
1 - 8 of 8 Posts