Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting the 156 sele ready for a MOT and some associated fettling.

I decided to apply a layer of bilt hamber hydro 80 to the pan, front crossmember and sills. Everything went according to plan and I finished it off with a nice layer of QD90. The only thing was, that when i was prepping the pan with a cup brush (attached to a percussion drill) i managed to rip a small hole in the floor on one side. I was possibly too aggressive.

I'm getting it patched tomorrow by a friendly chap i know locally. Question is, should i patch the small hole and just treat the rest as its pretty solid - i did have a good go with a screwdriver so it is really solid! Or should i cut a larger rectangular section out which takes out all the drain holes and have new metal welded in.

The bilt hamber product looks like it can treat small bits of existing rust and as the rest of the drain holes look solid i thought i'd treat those and just have a tiny patch done. Then treated and QD90'ed and it should be good to go?

Not a great design on these little drain holes as they attract water, so possible better off with them cut out?

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
cheers. D-day tomorrow so will take a pic of the welders handy-work and post it. Dan (Pud) suggests small patches on each one, but that would maybe be more work for the welder than just cutting it all out in a line... Fortunately its just the holes at the back that seem to be suffering. I've treated the cross member and sills and its fine. Its a new(ish) 156 with only 50k and has been garaged by the look of the underside.

I'm not doing it, so out of my hands now!

BTW - I've just read your thread. Excellent work there on the 156.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All sorted now.

Old section cut out completely, new section welded in and then under sealed - which i didn't even ask him to do!

The other side got some Bilt Hamber hydro 80 then underseal. :thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.