Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2001 2.0ts 156 wagon, the sump got a crack in it which eventually became a hole. Bought a 156ts 2.0 sedan wreck (side impact, drove it home fine) and replaced my sump. Engine still sounds a bit off so did an engine swap over.
The new engine is in however the CODE key error is lit on the dash. I found the key code card in the wrecked car and could get the engine to fire up with accelerator entry of code. It won't idle though.
My main concern at this stage is the immobiliser though.
I have original ecu and code box, original keys.
Wreck ecu, code box and key.
All I changed over was the engine, is there something else I should swap over?
The wreck key won't fit, but perhaps I could try holding it near the ignition when I turn the original key over?
Thanks heaps

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
The ECU is matched to the code box and keys. So if you used the ecu that came with the replacement engine you will need to swap it for your original.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Cromwell! I nearly replied to say I didn't touch the ecu so how could it be the wrong one, but I slept on it. Woke up and realised that was exactly what I did wrong! I assumed the ecu lived in the dash or kick panel somewhere..
No more immobiliser but it won't idle, makes a whirring noise which seems to be slowly going away each try but I'm not pushing it. Oil light is on. Any clues?

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
The adaptive values stored in the ecu will be wrong for the engine. An ecu reset will speed up learning the new values and it should run better. Have a search it's detailed on the forum how to do it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Did you keep the replacement engine's ecu on the engine when you swapped the engine over? You should instead use your original engine ecu.
There is no other reason why the new engine would need the key code from the wrecked car.

The engine ecu sits just above the throttle body on the intake manifold and has two multi pin connectors plugged in on top of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Cromwell ill try that out, found the ecu reset miracle cure thread.
Just concerned about the idle for 15 mins step (at the moment it runs for about 3 seconds then stops) so hopefully the ignition and battery steps will sort that out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts