Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
yesterday I was driving on a motorway, at around 115km/h, using cruise control. At some time, electricity suddenly cutted off all power like I would have turned the key to OFF. After 3 seconds everything powered back on, and I could continue drive home. I parked, but after 10 minutes after I wanted to use car again, nothing would happen when I turned the key.

Becouse there's not much I can do, I unplugged the battery at negative pole for a minute. After reconnecting, still nothing would happen. Only after I tried that for 3 times, car would normally start again. Also when I connect the battery, after a couple of seconds, I can hear a loud beep.
Does my car have a alarm?
That brings me to my new question, which could also be a solution :rolleyes: One day before that I have replaced the radio. At the bottom of windshield was a red light in a plastic which I thought, previus owner had for a car phone. I cutted that off, also I cutted off microphone like looking things at both top sides of front windshield. But car worked normally after that.

Could that be the problem, or is this not connected or relavant to alarm!

Thanks for your help!

G

·
Good lord:rolleyes:

Yes your car... DID have an alarm system... The operative word being "did"
Basically what you have done is chopped the alarm armed led warning light and also the interior intruder pressure sensors... No wonder you are now having issues:rolleyes:

Please... For your own safety and costs of repair afterwards....Stop cutting into wires if you do not know what they feed or power and if in doubt, just ask before doing it... Advice is free after all;)

Based on electronic level of knowledge, I would recommend taking the car to an auto electrician and explain what the symptoms are and describe what you have already done. The should be able to repair and sort out the issue quickly;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked ePER (with my chassis number), and found this:

And there are none of the things I have cutted. My light was at the front, behind dashboard, at the very bottom of the windscreen, and sensors were at the top of A-pillar (i hope that's the word). If that is the case, it's the least of the problem, I can easily reconnect everything back again.

But that is not a factory fitted alarm?

G

·
By the sounds of it. It has had an aftermarket alarm fitted and that begs two questions.

1. Depending on your European market specification it had an original factory fitted alarm ... So.... Why was it disconnected and replaced with an aftermarket system? Which would point to a major failure in the original system thus the beeps when you connected the battery.

2. If the aftermarket system was professionally fitted?
Chances are it was integrated with an immobilizer system too so... Chopping wires and essential items off an integrated alarm/ immobilizer system isn't exactly the best or brightest idea if you want your car to run, start and lock properly:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that and I will reconnect everything. :)
But my question remains. Is that aftermarket car alarm system?

edit: Thanks Grahameo, seems I have overlooked your post!

I talked to my friend who has a '98 156 TS, he said he had exactly the same sensors fitted to his car. So that could be something Alfa dealers fitted to their cars I guess..?

·
Registered
2 Posts
electrically my 156 stopped today in fact without warning ,fuel was cut off so now a non start ,mine is a 156 2.4 jtd 2001 model checked the relays all ok checked the fuel filter changed for new , still no go checked filter for fuel on the return pipe thats ok although the pressure isnt that great i thought , but turning over fuel at injectors , need some direction from this point on ,checked the cut off switch under passenger seat that seems ok reset it anyway , but its still not even trying that much too fire ,and when it does it stops straight away ,any ideas ,

steve alfa2385

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have turned into a ghost if my car just turned off while driving on the motorway !!!
It was downhill, so i wouldn't even notice, if music didn't stop :) I hope that after I reconnect everything back, everything will be fine,...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts