Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Noticed a few days ago that my 156 was very very low on coolant, so I topped her up all good. Then I did a 500 miles journey a few days ago and I've just chekced the coolant again and shes near the bottom of the resevoir. I cant seem to find a leak, kept her running for a while.

However, if there isnt a leak could this be the head gasket and how could I definitely check? Could it be a damaged water pump in some way?

many thanks

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
If there isn't a leak outside the engine, the only other possibility is internal (ie head-gasket).
A sniff test may pickup combustion gasses in the reservoir although if the leak is very small it may only pull coolant into the cylinder on over-run.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey guys,

Noticed a few days ago that my 156 was very very low on coolant, so I topped her up all good. Then I did a 500 miles journey a few days ago and I've just chekced the coolant again and shes near the bottom of the resevoir. I cant seem to find a leak, kept her running for a while.

However, if there isnt a leak could this be the head gasket and how could I definitely check? Could it be a damaged water pump in some way?

many thanks
You need a torch and a cardboard and torx 40 + allen key 6 mm.:cool:
Remowe the under engine protection plate,and the "beauty box lid" on the top of the engine,let the car idle untill warm,meaning untill the cooling fan starts,place a large cardboad under the car,now carefully look for leaks systematically.get a torch an enlighten the radiator be careful!!! the fan might start again,all hoses including at the thermostat,expansion cannister,and finally the damned "plastictube" ( if it's on the TS engine) at the front of the enginethat connects the expansion cannister lower hose to the engine.
If nothing is seen do it again! leave the car idling.stop engine have an espresso and look at the cardboard is water present you have a leak outside your engine and that is a lot more fun than an internal!:)
Plan B let a garage do it they can put pressure to the system and know where to look.
Have a look at the cooling system here : https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156cooler/
and here : https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156thermostat/
William Lütken

G

·
0 Posts
Answer two questions..... When was the radiator last changed?
Is it cruddy and missing fins in between the main channels at the bottom?
Probably steaming out slowly instead a dribble so you won't really notice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies, I will do tests. Hopefully it isnt an internal problem!

Radiator has not been replaced in my ownership (nearly a year) but it looks in pretty good nick. I will look further down and give a better evaluation.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts