Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh the fun never stops!!!

The cooling fan on my 156 stopped working a couple of weeks ago which resulted in my header tank exploding :rolleyes:

Anyway, It needed a cooling fan speed control resistor which I bought at Alfa for the pricely sum of £38. I fitted it, plugged it in and everything worked fine - happy days - or so i thought....

after a blast up the M62 a quick glance over at the temp gauge showed it at 110degrees. AHHHH!

On lifting the lid, i saw that the fan was only on slow speed, so i swopped the connections over and it blasted away for about a minute then went back to slow speed.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be?? Has it happened to anyone else??

I am currently driving around with a piece of wire bridging the two connections and i don't know how long I can do this for??? The fan works great like this though :lol:

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
That resistor just produces the low speed.
With the connection bridged then both the low speed relay and the high speed relay will produce a high speed fan.

I set mine like that when the rad was on its way out last year and I have left it that way even with the new rad.
It won't do any harm.

Sounds like you may have a problem with the high speed fan relay.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
IIRC the low speed fan comes on at 95 and the high speed at 110 ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
... and according to eLearn your stat becomes fully open between 101-105 deg ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
I hadn't noticed that in there before.

But then the usual issue with the TS stat is not closing, the whole running below 80degC issue. Almost unheard of for a TS stat to fail closed (or not open enough) and cause overheating.
So maybe I'd seen it in there, but just not taken any notice before :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still in a pickle.....

I replaced both the high and low speed resistors over the weekend and ran the engine to see the fan run at low speed and high speed which it did, but when I was driving on the motorway (for 60 miles) the temp still ran over to 3/4 so i had to put my blowers on full whack on hot to let some heat out.

This is really beginning to get me down now :cry:

Can anyone tell me what to do to get this sorted once and for all.....

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
What happens if you put the AC on at the coldest setting - does the fan come on (I think low speed)?

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
If you are running hot at speed, it is NOT a fan issue.
The fans don't help at speed.
So you need to look closely at the rad.
Next on the list would be the waterpump, but that is a big job (it means a full cambelt job).

It sounds like the rad.
If it was the pump, the heaters wouldn't bring it down so much.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm still in a pickle.....

I replaced both the high and low speed resistors over the weekend and ran the engine to see the fan run at low speed and high speed which it did, but when I was driving on the motorway (for 60 miles) the temp still ran over to 3/4 so i had to put my blowers on full whack on hot to let some heat out.

This is really beginning to get me down now :cry:

Can anyone tell me what to do to get this sorted once and for all.....
Shouldnt need fans whilst travelling at speed. Either yor rad or pump missing fins? My pump was when i had this issue on a 2.4d. Possibly worth flushing the system if the water looks really bad

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my aircon leaks so i don't use it at all

The fins on the rad are a bit green and the fins aren't great on the inside, but it doesn't leak or anything

I had the cambelt changed about 1k ago so i hope it doesn't have to come off again then to get to the water pump!!

I know the auxilliary belt could do with changing soon - could that be it??

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
shop4parts have valeo original radiators on special at the moment for £118+vat

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
My last Valeo rad only lasted 3-years though...!
Many people are making Aluminium rads now, which should last longer.
I got a Nissens Aluminium rad for mine last year.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
3 years, thats pretty poor...................... my 156 is still on the original after 8 years, the benefit of non UK climate :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Low speed resistor not working: Bridged Connection

That resistor just produces the low speed.
With the connection bridged then both the low speed relay and the high speed relay will produce a high speed fan.

I set mine like that when the rad was on its way out last year and I have left it that way even with the new rad.
It won't do any harm.

Sounds like you may have a problem with the high speed fan relay.
Thanks guy for this old post. I found it relevant to my current situation. Recently I noticed my temperature gauge preferred to be more on the hotter side than usual. On investigation, I noticed the low speed fan was not kicking in at all, though the relay was fine & responding to diagnostics tests. After some research I narrowed the problem to the resistor. Because of the hot weather this side of the hemisphere, a thought occurred to me to temporarily bridge the connections to by-pass the dead resistor. And it worked. And your post just confirmed it wasn't a bad thought! :) :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cause of cooling fan not controlling on 156 JTS?

Recently the temperature gauge on my 156 2.0 JTS went a little higher than normal in traffic and I started to investigate the cause. I cant detect the fan kicking in with the air con off, but it does come on when the air con is on. Ran the multiecuscan and actuated both fans scucessfully, with relays working fne. Followed the temperature on the multiecuscan live readings and could not detect the low speed fan coming on even when the temperature was allowed to rise to 97 degrees.

Am I correct in assuming that there is nothing wrong with the low speed resistor or relay circuit if the low speed fan was operational via the signal sent during the actuator test?

Could there be a fault with the temperature sensor - although all the temperature readings via the multiecuscan look sensible, so I presume the the ECU is recieving corrrect temperature readings?

Appreciate adivce/explanation on this.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
If, as in your case, both fan speeds work normally using MES, they're fine.
As stated earlier, the temp guage and ecu use different temp sensors (though usually co-located), so the reading on the guage can be different from that measured by ecu...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts