Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after having scoured the internet on how to bleed the clutch on my 156 i had serious problems getting all the air out after replacing the master cylinder and decided to write a quick guide for others struggling with the same issue

all the other guides i had read suggested the correct way to do the job was to remove the clip at the slave end of the system on top of the gearbox and have a helper push the clutch pedal in and out while moving the pipe in and out with a bleed pipe attached to the bleed nipple

this resulted in much arm ache and plenty of choice language when the system was still full of air :rant:

i then found a helpful tip relating to bleeding the system on a stilo which solved all my problems, so here is the simple easy method which i hope is of help to someone with the same issue i had

you will need a length of pipe, preferably clear (i used an old washer fluid pipe from a transit)
a bottle to catch the fluid in
a flat blade screwdriver or needlenose pliers to remove the pipe clip
and some brake fluid to top up as required

first attach the bleed pipe to the bleed nipple on top of the gearbox
run it down to the ground through the bottom of the engine bay (the pipe must be kept below the height of the gearbox)
then lift the clip from the feed pipe but dont remove it
once the clip is up high enough the feed pipe should pull out by 5mm or so
remove the cap from the brake fluid and gravity will allow the fluid to slowly pass through the bleed pipe, you will be able to see the air bubbles passing through the pipe, keep an eye on the fluid level topping up as needed
once there are no more air bubbles in your bleed pipe just push the feed pipe back in and push the clip back in place to secure it and your clutch pedal should be good as new

sit back and enjoy a beer :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing earth shattering,
everything i had read about doing the job didnt work for me so i thought i would share it in the hope of saving others the same frustration of finding an easy method :classic:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Even easier if you get a 50 ml medical syringe and attach to the bleed nipple via a bit of tubing. You can suck all the air out in about 10 seconds :)

Keith

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
When I fit my new slave it was a doddle...

1. Clamp hydraulic hose with mole grips (the flexi rubber bit!).
2. Fit new cylinder (don't undo mole grips!)
3. Open bleed valve, push in piston fully. All the air comes out the bled valve.
4. Close bleed valve - piston should now hold in the compressed position.
5. Undo brake fluid reservoir cap, and then remove mole-grips.. Piston spring pushes the piston out, which draws in all the hydraulic fluid.
6. Fit one of these: http://www.fordprobestore.co.uk/store/images/bleedtube.jpg and give the pedal a few slow pumps, and hold pedal down (should stay down if the res cap is undone)
7. Top up brake fluid res, close cap, pull up clutch pedal.
8. Done!

Felt lovely after that for a month, right up until my clutch died :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts