Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. First post.

I have been wanting an Alfa since I was a kid and used to watch them racing in Durban.
And recently I was given a 156 2Ltr.

It has the cassette tape head unit and I would like some info on replacing it with a front loader.
I have found some place in Durbs that sells a bezel to fill the gap in the console, that a standard CD player will fit into. However I have since been told that the original head unit has something to do with the electronic system management in some way. Was given a name for this process but don't remember. My head unit has never been usable, it needs a code and I don't have it. So I'm not sure what its actually doing. Anyway, the point of the post is that I would like to know if I can get this bezel, fit a front loader and just be done with it. Or if there is something else I would need like an adapter cable. Or if I can just mod the cable thats allready in the car.

Oh, and a quick side question. I have seen some posts for places that work on Alfas. But I am looking for a place in JHB that sells spares. I prefer to work on my cars myself. I have emailed Spares for Africa twice but got absolutely no response from them.

In case its necessary, the parts I need are:

Wipers. Can find these.
Shocks.
Filters, plugs, belts and tension pulleys. Needs a beefy service.
Rear right window mechanism.
Brake pads and discs. Midas has helped me with this once before. But they seldom have them in stock and its always a schlep to order them.
Speedo cable.
Drivers side sun visor clip.
And I think I need a new ABS pump. The ABS and the Handbrake light are on when I drive. And the rear wheels grind sometimes under heavy breaking.

Thanks in advance for any help. Much appreciated guys.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Hi guys. First post.

My head unit has never been usable, it needs a code and I don't have it. So I'm not sure what its actually doing. Anyway, the point of the post is that I would like to know if I can get this bezel, fit a front loader and just be done with it. Or if there is something else I would need like an adapter cable. Or if I can just mod the cable thats allready in the car.

Wipers. Can find these.
Shocks.
Brake pads and discs. Midas has helped me with this once before. But they seldom have them in stock and its always a schlep to order them.
Speedo cable.
And I think I need a new ABS pump. The ABS and the Handbrake light are on when I drive. And the rear wheels grind sometimes under heavy breaking.
Stereo isn't connected to any part of the management system, apart from the code.....no problem fitting a general replacement apart from a peculiarity with two of the power cables which are opposite way round from most cars.....think it just means it doesn't switch off with ignition.....but there is probably more info in the ICE section :)

For your bits, I can't help with SA suppliers, but several UK suppliers may ship. A few general points - if doing your own cambelt change, you NEED the proper camlocks - some people claim to do it with "paint" markings etc but its pure chance if you manage to get it timed properly that way, and can be expensive if its wrong!
There isn't a speedo cable - speedo is driven from ABS system so fault may well be linked with your ABS issue - could just be a blown fuse, but I have sold a few second-hand ABS ECUs so they obviously can fail. Handbrake light can just be low fluid level, though....which could be the case if your rear pads are badly worn...

Sun visor clip? If its just the clip at the mirror end that should be easy to find, but usually visor problems are because the other end fails and the visor goes floppy - needs a replacement visor.

Window mechanism - sometimes the windows just jam through lack of use, but if a replacement is needed it will probably need to be second-hand. If you can't find them over there I could post one, but it would be few weeks because Im in Tenerife just now. Don't know what postage would be, though.

Hope that's some help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

That really is a lot of help. I was thinking there was going to be more to the costs of the repairs. But this makes it seem a lot simpler and cheaper. I have finally gotten a reply back from the spares company here. They have everything I need except the front shocks and brakes. So just waiting on that.

You mentioned the ABS ECU. Is it part of the pump. Or something separate. And how would I know if its the ECU or the actuall pump that is causing the problem. Without connect it to a diagnostic PC.

The fault I'm having. Is that sometimes there is pressure on the pedal and it feels more stable. And sometimes there is nothing. And its just holding thumbs and stamping on the breaks to get some stopping power. It doesn't really change much in different weather conditions. Though on really hot days it does seem a bit squidgy. It doesn't do it often. And sometimes It seems like the rear might not be releasing all the way. The car grinds to a halt and when I pull off there is a scraping sound at the wheel. I then just drive a little bit with my foot lightly on the break and it quietens down. Until the next time it does it. Other days there is absolutely no problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alfa Used Spares in Pretoria

Hi guys. First post.

I have been wanting an Alfa since I was a kid and used to watch them racing in Durban.
And recently I was given a 156 2Ltr.

It has the cassette tape head unit and I would like some info on replacing it with a front loader.
I have found some place in Durbs that sells a bezel to fill the gap in the console, that a standard CD player will fit into. However I have since been told that the original head unit has something to do with the electronic system management in some way. Was given a name for this process but don't remember. My head unit has never been usable, it needs a code and I don't have it. So I'm not sure what its actually doing. Anyway, the point of the post is that I would like to know if I can get this bezel, fit a front loader and just be done with it. Or if there is something else I would need like an adapter cable. Or if I can just mod the cable thats allready in the car.

Oh, and a quick side question. I have seen some posts for places that work on Alfas. But I am looking for a place in JHB that sells spares. I prefer to work on my cars myself. I have emailed Spares for Africa twice but got absolutely no response from them.

Wipers. Can find these.
Shocks.
Speedo cable.

Thanks in advance for any help. Much appreciated guys.
We don't deliver but if you organise a courier to pick up the stuff from us in Villieria, Pretoria and drop it by you. We have a sunvisor clip. The other stuff we can order, then you can bring the car to Glenridge Motors on the same premises to get your major service done here. Call/Whatsapp Dave on 084 363 4335

1 - 4 of 4 Posts