Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've just got a letter from VOSA stating my car is subject to a recall for the infamous alfa bonnet catch issue. The letter is at home and I wont be there for a few weeks so cant exactly state what it says or what other models are affected but thought I'd see if anyone else has received the letter.

Seems odd that they are now waiting till the cars are nearing 10 years old (mines a 2002) before they sort this but why not. Free repair/upgrade at an Alfa dealer!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got one yesterday for the misses 156 sportwagon but didn't get one for my 156 jtd or my new 156 jtd.
The sportwagon had a siezed safety catch when i got it for her which have already sorted

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
They've been doing this for years. It's just a safety check and regrease/maintenance rather than anything more.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Nothing after 2006 on the VOSA re-call site, and nothing about the bonnet catch.

It's not exactly a new problem. I wonder why it should have surfaced now, I know VOSA are slow off the mark but this is exceptional even for them!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/general-alfa-discussion/98814-156-accidents.html

I won't bore everyone with the tale of flagging down a 156 on the M25 with the bonnet held on the safety catch - another one saved.

L

·
0 Posts
I got one yesterday for the my old 156 i scraped three weeks ago, nothing as of yet for my new v6:confused:

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Nothing to do with VOSA, Alfa themselves will initiate the recall using data supplied by VOSA.
I wonder what the parameters are...?
Because I've never had a letter either!

I had wondered if the letters only went to cars supplied through Alfa UK, so grey imports wouldn't get them.

If they went out to all Alfa 156 registered in the UK, I should have had a letter before as I've owned it from new in 1999...!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Recent change of ownership perhaps? How long have you had it? I got a letter about 4 months after I bought my GTA, but I never had one when I owned my 1.6TS 156 for 4 yrs.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I got a letter for my 147 this week, ownership at 14 months. Got one for my last 147 3 months after it was written off.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
i am a posty and deliverd a few of these letters and i think ,tell me if i am wrong but you have prob had a letter because the owner before you never botherd to get it checked out because once its been done it goes into the alfa data base , i went to my local deal and got a print out and it gave me a list of all recalls the car has had

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I've had three for my 147 now, the most recent arrived a couple of days ago and was send recorded delivery so next door signed for it as I'm away.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had her 9 months, so I'll book her in and get it done. Nothing to lose. I know its a common problem
but why not!

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I've sort-of assumed that John147's idea was correct - i've had several for one of our 156s, and also for one of the 147s I have, both of which have been off the road for years, so I never bothered doing anything about them......just reckoned that periodically Alfa go through the database for those cars that haven't "responded" to the recall.......

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
They get them from VOSA in the UK.
Except that some 156 owners have never had one (ie me..!), so they are not sending to ALL 156/147 registered in the UK.

I suspect Alfa UK have a list of VIN numbers sold through their dealer network and are only sending to those.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i got one FREE IS GOOD do you think they will give us free fuel as well for being alfa owners?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts