Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have been having a problem recently with my 2003 alfa 156. It started with the battery light coming on intermittently for a few minutes. Then one day on a cold morning it started fine but lost power as i was on the motorway then stalled. I got it towed to a garage and they checked the battery and alternator but could not fine any problem. I drove it away and it was OK for two days then the same thing happened. THis time the garage replaced the battery. It was then fine for a few weeks,, but the battery light came on a couple of times again, then this morning it began to lose power but did not stall. It then drove OK. Any ideas? Sensors problem? Bad electrical connection? :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like your alternator is working and then stops working and as battery goes flat engine management starts to die.get your alt checked when battery light comes on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. As this can come and go within minutes, is there a quick way i can test the alternator. I have a multimeter, would measuring the voltage at the battery terminals indicate if the alternator is at fault. Have you ever heard of intermittent problems with a alternator like this.

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
Checking the battery voltage with the engine running will test if it working at that moment in time.
But like many intermittent problems, they can hide while you are checking!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick reply, i just checked now. When i started the car the battery light came on and the voltage at the battery terminals was 12.10 Volts. I reved the car a bit and the light went off the voltage then read 14 Volts. So it looks like the alternator could be failing intermittently. Is it worth checking anything else in case it is not the alternator. Could the drive belt be slipping or would that make a screeching sound?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Put multi meter on battery while engine is running,voltage should be around 13.7-14.2 volts,next turn all powered things on headlights,blower etc and see if voltage drops to below 13.5 volts if so alt needs replacing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, just to update you on this problem, i got the alternator reconditioned, the guy who reconditioned it said that there was some electronic component blown. Following this the battery light did not come for a few days then reappeared. It always happens in the morning, not sure if this is relevant. Having spend 120 euro on a battery and 375 euro on the alternator, i'm about to pull my hair out. All thats remaining (i think) is the cable from the alternator to the battery, i had a look today, not being a mechanic i cannot find the alternator, but i think i see the cable coming from it to the battery, see the photo attached, is it the cable which goes through the 60A fuse at the battery terminals, also is the small cable from the negative side of the battery the alternator cable ground. I disconnected these two cables and cleaned up, i reconnected and measured the resistance from the ground cable to the engine chassis and it was almost 0 ohms, i forgot to measure before cleaning. I'll have to wait a day or two to see if this makes any difference. Can anybody give any more advice, is it expensive/difficult to replace the alternator cable, does the alternator need to be removed, any further checks i should be carrying out. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i know from previous threads on here that if the small cable the comes from loom on inner wing to battery positive is not connected ,they had charging problems etc ,so clean up of that might have cured your problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts