Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is the next episode from http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/945393-alfa-156-engine-swap-immobilised.html? This saga.
Replaced engine and ecu, code light goes out. Injector and oil light remain lit while key is in MAF.
Car tries to start but wont turn over, occasional sputter if you give it throttle while you turn the key, but it wont go (it was starting before ecu reset but wouldn't idle longer than 2 seconds.)
Exhaust smells quite rich of petrol. Ummm, I tried pressing fuel cutout under the seat. I think that's all I can think of that might be of help?
I'll post some pictures too since y'all love that.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I am confused? Is it turning over or not? you say it won't but then you say it tries to start and splutters, That would indicate it is turning over.

Do you have compression? AKA, is the turning over a consistent slow whirr or a pulsing faster whirr.

Check the electrical connections to the coil packs and earths. what state is the throttle body in? Can the valve move ok?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just doing my best to explain what is happening so maybe my wording is wrong?
Before ecu reset, turn key to ignition and it goes vroom, sputters then turns off within 2 seconds. After reset it doesn't even run for a second, except occasionally if you pump the pedal, you get one splutter and a bit of strong petrol smelling exhaust. Mostly it just sounds like it's groaning as if the battery were low? I hope that sheds light on the confusion, sorry if it's no use maybe I'll chuck up a video
A friend has suggested perhaps there is timing issue for the Sparks not firing properly. I will check the coil packs in the morning, throttle body is fine

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Did you check the 'new' engine was timed properly at the belts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine came straight out of a car I drove into the shed.
So now it starts and you can drive it around, it sounds a bit rough at low rpms but it won't idle. You need to tickle the throttle when you start it to keep it going.
Injector light is intermittent as well.
Id upload pics and a vid but I cant from my phone, until I'm home on a pc.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
you need to get it on Multiecuscan. Could be anyone of a number of things and only a proper diagnostics tool will help. Far cheaper than replacing random parts that might be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A. Little air sensor cover was around the wrong way, completely solved everything... Runs a treat! Thank you everyone for advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts