Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hia Guys,

Have posted here on and off for several years now, mostly like others asking for help and tech stuff.

Have had my Alfa for quite a few years now and was going to post when it got to 150K miles, it was at 149,700, so only had a bit to go.

In all the years I have had it, its never broken down on me, I have done most of the above miles myself. Yes have had new cambelts fitted, serviced every 5000 and any work need have had done, mostly as we know "suspension lol". It had been lovingly looked after. Still went like the day I bought it and had never needed any engine work.

I have owned several cars, including Lancia HF Turbo and others, but man, my 156 was the best car bar none I have ever owned.

So, the story, I had to run my son and his GF to Dublin Airport for holiday in Sweden on the 29th Dec. Left at 4.00am and dropped em off. Was on my way home and had about 60 miles to go. I had felt tired so had pulled over and had a nap, also had a coffee, so had done all we are advised to do.

I am about another 20 miles down the road and start feeling tired again, but decided to push on as not far to go really. Then as we have all done, that split second doze hit me, the next minute I am hit in the face with an airbag, can smell smoke and feel like wow, what the hell happened there. Looked around, could not open my driver door, and all of a sudden am surrounded by people, saying "don't move, we have called an ambulance, police are on their way etc etc"

From my cosy, 156 cockpit, I had hit a tree headon at 60mph, that split secon doze and suddenly my alfa is embedded in a tree and I am walking around in a daze!

Man, talk about lucky! In so many ways, not the least of which was I walked away with a few bruises.

Here are some shots of the car post tree:

http://www.closecombat.org/images/29122010183.jpg
http://www.closecombat.org/images/29122010186.jpg
http://www.closecombat.org/images/29122010181.jpg
http://www.closecombat.org/images/29122010187.jpg

Man, talk about gutted, but on the other hand very lucky! Car is a write off, well goes without saying really. So now depending on what the insurance company come up with [thank god for no claims protection and fully comp] I am looking for a 2001-2004 156 or 147 in Ireland.

Wanted to share as know most of you will know how I feel :( .

BUT, I did walk away, which TBH is amazing ;)

Cheers - Happy New YEAR - Shaun

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nightmare - I'm glad you weren't hurt although not surprised - I had a 100 mph offset head on with a Land Rover Discovery in my 156 10 years ago, and walked away unscathed.

Hope you find a suitable replacement soon

G

·
Bummer. At least you didn't write yourself off! Good job you'd dropped off your passengers. Car looked nice and clean too.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
SHAUN !!!! so good that you are in good condition (apart from grief parting with your trusted wheels)
at least the airbag did his job ! imagine what had happened if not.....
good luck finding a new (ish) 156 they are great cars !!
anyway HAPPY NEWYEAR !

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Lucky escape.....ironically the fact that you'd dozed probably saved you some injury as your arms and legs wouldn't have been braced against the wheel and pedals. The poor car did all that could be asked of it from the look of it - sacrificed itself keeping you in one piece.

Now go buy a lottery ticket - your luck's in!:)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
sad story :(

But you are ok, that is the most important thing ever!

Hope you find a new one soon.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Glad you are ok m8, very lucky indeed. I have just written my 156 off a few weeks back so know just how you feel (skidded on some ice into a tree).

Hope you find a replacement alfa soon...

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
yes Shaun as above glad your ok , there are good 156's out there so you will find one ok. :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
So glad you are ok Shaun, it could have been so much worse if you had hit a car coming the other way.
A few of us in the Irish lounge always keep an eye out for some nice Alfa's for sale so keep an eye out in the following thread or stick up one that you are looking at and we can give opinions (especially regarding the dealer selling it :lol:)
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/republic-of-ireland/208077-alfa-romeos-for-sale-in-ireland.html
Also, as CCVOICH says about the fella selling that car is a renowned Alfa mechanic in O'Donaghues in Dublin.
Best of luck with the search.
Gav.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well impressed with how the car folded in the right places for you. I was in a similar crash when I was younger - as a pissed-up passenger with a pissed-up driver - and his car (a Granada as I recall) tore itself to pieces, roof off, seats collapsed, the works. Have had a bad back on and off ever since. Paramedics at the time told me it was a good job I was pissed as if I'd been sober and awake I'd have probably been seriously injured.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks guys.

I am indeed very lucky and to walk away is amazing. My Bella did all the right things! One hell of shock though!

I will check out that link on Octane.

Thats what I was lacking, a reliable person to buy from, Not sure what insurance I will get, but def need a new Alfa soonest.

I will check the Irish forums as well, did not even know they were there lol. Does it cover all of Ireland?

Oh, wife said same about lottery ticket, so went and bought one, got bugger all, think I used all my luck up there ;) Actually had some heart probs [artery 99% blocked, for months, doc told me I should not be alive, age 43] about 2 years ago. So think must have some feline in me somewhere, am however running through them fast!

Will be so good to have myself firmly back inside an Alfa!

Cheers - Shaun

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Many thanks guys.

I am indeed very lucky and to walk away is amazing. My Bella did all the right things! One hell of shock though!

I will check out that link on Octane.

Thats what I was lacking, a reliable person to buy from, Not sure what insurance I will get, but def need a new Alfa soonest.

I will check the Irish forums as well, did not even know they were there lol. Does it cover all of Ireland?
I thought so, it took a few months for me to realise that as well :lol: Yep covers all of Ireland and we have a rep Damien_C who is from Cork but we forgive him, we have regular meets as well and have one in Cork this month if you are sorted by then (and even if you're not) you are welcome to join us.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repu...xt-alfa-owner-big-meet-new-year-d-22-3-a.html

Here's a link to one of our meets last year in Mondello
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/meet...lassic-car-live-2010-a.html?highlight=ireland

1 - 19 of 19 Posts