Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Does anyone know where to get a "cheaper than Alfa" master cylinder for the 20v diesel???

Just wandered if anyone of you 20v owners have had to replace yours yet and if so, where did you go for the part?! Alfa are wanting stupid money - around the £370 mark! I have been quoted £151 + VAT for a Bosch - and I think there is one on eBay for around £170.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290878244145?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

If anyone can help, would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Had a quick check and the usual suspects don't seem to stock them.....probably because its very unusual for them to fail.....are you sure that's the problem?

I can probably find you a second-hand one, but you may not want that....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. First, PropWarp, thanks but that is a link for clutch cylinders and not brake! Lol ;-)

rgwm for seconds, what else could it be? I was driving along the road, the brake warning light was issues on the dash, and shortly after, I began losing my brakes. So on getting home, I refill the brake fluid reserve as it is nearly empty, and pump the brakes to make sure they pump the fluid around the system. Then, I have nothing.

I took it to my local garage, and my mechanic said there was a burst pipe which he replaced, but said there was still the problem which he could only imagine to be the master cylinder. What do you reckon?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Burst pipe was obviously the first problem....probably just not bled properly subsequently, can be a bit tricky if air gets into ABS unit.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello G414sso,

If your brakes were ok prior to the pipe burst ( wouldn't be one of the front pipes by any chance?), then your master is probably fine; it's very likely your problem is air in the brake system. The 156 can be difficult to bleed, and there are posts on here which will be very helpful; if I recall correctly, it may be neccesary to crack various unions under pressure and/or cycle the abs system using multiscan. Worth noting that the workshop manual has a brake bleeding system that pushes fluid in AND extracts under pressure...Clarke do a similar system.

If I were you, I would try re bleeding the brakes; a lot cheaper than buying/ fitting a new master cylinder!

Hope that helps
Cheerio
The Captain:thumbs:

PS or refer to the post above.....!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts