Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all members.
After seeing a friend of mine retrofit cruise control to a 147 FL, I said why not?
So I took off the steering wheel cover to see if there is a cable for the cruise but there wasnt. My mechanic said I need THE WHOLE ENGINE WIRING for it to work, but my friend didnt have the cable either and got it working. He just got the stalk and his electritian made a wiring for the stalk to the engine ecu. Whats happening? My friend is not close by so i cant get the car to his electritian. My question is : can I make it work or not? Who do I believe? Is it possible to make wiring from the cruise stalk to the ecu? The car has swithes to the pedals and also i can see the cruise light at the cluster.
The car is a FL interior.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You need to remove the shroud over the lower part of the steering column. If you can retrofit it, there should be a white plug/socket in there. It won't be easily visible, it will be a little buried. It was at least on my 156.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this is an old thread but after many months of research I got the job done. No there wasn't any white connector waiting for me under the steering column. After many months of searching for the stalk, I found one. Then all it needed was to build the wiring from the steering to the ECU.
The cruise control is now fully operational. The engine is a AR32104.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Does the cruise control from any later 156 fit?

And when it is fitted is there any dashboard displays?

I should have got one years ago instead of now when parts are getting rare...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

As far as I am aware cruise control came as an option on the interior facelift models in 2002. If you have one of them, check if you have the white socket buried away as it makes it easier to install. I fitted a stalk from a later exterior facelift 156 into my earlier interior facelifted 156 and it works fine. The cruise control light (green) lights up on the little panel between the rev counter and speedometer when it's turned on.

All you need is the stalk, 2 screws and ideally a new steering column lower shroud with the cutout for the stalk, although you could modify your existing shroud.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My 156 is a 2002 interior facelift and it already had a light in the dashboard, and the switches to the pedals. I also found it had all the pins for the cruise control on the ECU so all i had to do was to make the wiring. Im pretty sure earlier 156s do not have the cruise control coding written to the ECU and the pins as mine had.

·
Registered
30,459 Posts
I was sure all the interior facelift and later had the wiring pre installed, but there could be variations depending on market.

Before the interior facelift it was never an option.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Checked out my car and I believe I've got the plug at least...

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

There's no apparent hole for the extra stalk on my cover however.

Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

Guess I can hunt on eBay for another to cut if I can't get one with the extra hole.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Yep pretty sure that's the plug. The screw just in front is part of the mounting for the stalk. Seem to recall you need a slightly longer screw? Easy though.

I think I got the lower cover with cutout 'free' with the stalk.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The stalk I bought comes with the other stalks and the centre bit so there's a screw in there for me to secure it with...

Managed to source a lower cover, they're very hard to tell apart from the regular ones which mine is. The cruise control one has a longer cut out whereas the original is just a small semi circle. Only cost me £20 delivered although from Lithuania.

Not in the mood for cutting up my original although I'll likely throw it away since I'll not need it again.

Any tips for getting the lower cover back onto the steering column? I've left it off for now as it seems a bit of a squeeze mating it up again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts