Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone recommend a decent suspension upgrade for my Alfa 156 2.4JTD MJet 20v.

I heard that there are issues going for Eibach/Koni springs as it drops the car too low.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Tariq

·
Vendor
46,413 Posts
Eibach Pro springs & Koni FSDs - yes it does drop the car low, so no hitting speedbumps at 30mph. But if you drive sensibly you will be fine. The only other alternatives are coilovers, but if you aren't wanting to lower it by much then it is going to be a stiff ride, although you should get excellent roadholding..

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Hi

Can anyone recommend a decent suspension upgrade for my Alfa 156 2.4JTD MJet 20v.

I heard that there are issues going for Eibach/Koni springs as it drops the car too low.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Tariq
I (had) that set-up on a 1.9 JTD 16v saloon - the Eibachs dropped it 10mm (front) and 25mm (rear) compared to the original Veloce set-up. I was looking to swap the parts over to my new 2.4 SW, but after driving back from the North-East I'm thinking again. The ride was much, much better than my old Saloon, despite the 17" wheels and no crashing over bumps etc. Don't really know about the handling as it's been snowing :lol:

How does yours ride?

If I leave "as is" the Eibachs and possibly the FSDs will remain on the car when she's dismantled.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, I'm thinking of the same upgrade, to an 05 2.4 20v mjet lusso . I find mine quite floaty around bends.. but having only just returned to Alfa, after a Legacy Spec B on Bilsteins maybe I've just got to adjust abit.

I'm going to sort the tyres first though its on mix & match very budget "Autoguard" Who?? & Dunlop on the rear when I bought her.. changing for Potenza 205/55/16 RE050A this weekend to see if things improve first, then think of suspension improvements.
How much time off the road is required to go to the set up TOX1C has on suspension??

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Hi all, I'm thinking of the same upgrade, to an 05 2.4 20v mjet lusso . I find mine quite floaty around bends.. but having only just returned to Alfa, after a Legacy Spec B on Bilsteins maybe I've just got to adjust abit.

How much time off the road is required to go to the set up TOX1C has on suspension??
The units were fitted in under half a day and that included rear arms x 2 and upper front arms x 2 and strut brace. Autolusso did the work as they had the springs and shocks already assembled off my late departed 1.9 JTD. The big difference to the handling was from fitting front & rear Eibach ARB, this complimented the springs and shocks and is essential if you want the car to handle as well as ride. Not cheap but very much worth it. Mine is on 17" rims with 225/45 tyres.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I've just put the FSD & Eibachs onto my 20v sportwagon. FANTASTIC! There's no other way to describe them. Like you, I was bothered about the car being lower & I'm already on 17"s so didn't want to stiffen the ride, but when Ferdie took my old springs off, they were tired so he recommended replacement at the same time. The Eibachs were alot cheaper than standard Alfa springs, so I took the plunge. Never have I made such a good decision! The ride is much more supple than standard over small bumps, but taughter over larger ones- the FSDs work fantastically well. The lowering hasn't prooved to be a problem either, I just take it easy over speed humps, but I largely did that before anyway. I can still carry 4 & a load with only the occaisonal tyre rub at the rear so no problem there, but the way the car corners just has to be experienced to be believed, it's such a huge inprovement over standard. Miles better than my girlfriend's A3 2.0 tdi sport & way more comfortable too. The thing no-one has mentioned here though is (& get this!) my fuel economy has gone up by more than 5%, I'm now easily avaeraging 43mpg, whereas I struggled to get 40 before! I'm not sure whether it's because the car is slightly lower & more level on the road, therefore more aerodynamic (all my driving is fast A road & M'way) or whether you just carry more speed through corners so you are not using as much acceleration coming out of them, probably a combination of both, but I never expected that & no other changes have been made to the car. Go for it, you wont regret it! Does anyone know how I can get the rest of the car to hang together so I can enjoy it more?!!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Hi, I've just put the FSD & Eibachs onto my 20v sportwagon. FANTASTIC! There's no other way to describe them. Like you, I was bothered about the car being lower & I'm already on 17"s so didn't want to stiffen the ride, but when Ferdie took my old springs off, they were tired so he recommended replacement at the same time. The Eibachs were alot cheaper than standard Alfa springs, so I took the plunge. Never have I made such a good decision! The ride is much more supple than standard over small bumps, but taughter over larger ones- the FSDs work fantastically well. The lowering hasn't prooved to be a problem either, I just take it easy over speed humps, but I largely did that before anyway. I can still carry 4 & a load with only the occaisonal tyre rub at the rear so no problem there, but the way the car corners just has to be experienced to be believed, it's such a huge inprovement over standard. Miles better than my girlfriend's A3 2.0 tdi sport & way more comfortable too. The thing no-one has mentioned here though is (& get this!) my fuel economy has gone up by more than 5%, I'm now easily avaeraging 43mpg, whereas I struggled to get 40 before! I'm not sure whether it's because the car is slightly lower & more level on the road, therefore more aerodynamic (all my driving is fast A road & M'way) or whether you just carry more speed through corners so you are not using as much acceleration coming out of them, probably a combination of both, but I never expected that & no other changes have been made to the car. Go for it, you wont regret it! Does anyone know how I can get the rest of the car to hang together so I can enjoy it more?!!
Glad you made the move. If you think that set-up is fantastic - which it is, just try the Eibach ARB as well, if you need to replace the bushes you MUST fit the ARB. I also get 43 mpg with 49 being the highest I've achieved taking it "steady".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts