Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I really need your help.

I posted a thread a few weeks back about a knocking noise when making a quick get away from a junction or roudabout and under hard acceleration.

I thought it might be the drivers side drive shaft as the previous owner had replaced a split CV boot for the MOT.

Today I got around to taking the drive shaft off which I must admit was a lot easier than I thought it would be (its a 36mm socket not a 32mm socket you need for the drive shaft nut).

I had inspected the shaft whilst on the car and could detect no play or wear in either of the joints.

I removed the outer CV and removed the boot from the inner spider joint and checked this out and all seemed fine. I regreased the joint and fitted a new boot.

I then fitted a new outer CV joint, reassembled it on the car and guess what..........yep, no change.

The car drives really smooth and on the motorway at 80mph there are no strange noises.

This is really starting to bug me as its just one of a string of faults since I bought the car 1 month ago.

I have always lusted after an Alfa and apart from this fault I love the car but I have to rely on this for my business ( I was driving around in a Volvo V40 with 142K on the clock and I cover 12K trouble free miles in less than 6 months!!) So I need your advice guys, any ideas?

Does anyone live in Derbyshire who would take a listen to the noise and see if they could diagnose the problem?

Cheers :cry:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have the same fault on my 156 jtd. I've been driving around it for 2 years.:mad:
I've stripped both drive shafts apart and found nothing. I've removed the gearbox (for a differant issue) split it inspected it and split the diff and found nothing. The DMF and clutch has only 30K on them. I inspected both and they were fine.
I only get the noise (best discribed as a crack crack crack noise) if I really boot it. Its worse if Im on a steep incline at max torque.

Very frustrating. :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll join in on this too. I just changed the top engine mount (dog bone shaped one) and I now have like a rotating knock, knock, knock, knock under hard acceleration at around 3000 rpm. drives fine until I boot it. Inner CV boot is split but it passed MOT and there is plenty of grease in there.

I need to change the upper wishbones as they are shot. Any ideas?

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
I'll join in on this too. I just changed the top engine mount (dog bone shaped one) and I now have like a rotating knock, knock, knock, knock under hard acceleration at around 3000 rpm. drives fine until I boot it. Inner CV boot is split but it passed MOT and there is plenty of grease in there.

I need to change the upper wishbones as they are shot. Any ideas?
Rear lower engine mount from diff housing to subframe is shot, engine is sitting in a funny position and the N/S inner CV is tapping on the subframe by the sounds of it. I had exactly this with one of mine, and mentioning changing the dog-bone top steady is interesting as usually what kills the dog-bones is them being over stressed due to a failed rear lower mount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All
had exactly same problem with knocking and spirited getaway, was worse even after changing all shocks springs driverside driveshaft and all 4 engine mounts. :(
However now FIXED!!! Came down to drive shaft knocking on lower arms/subframe (has been mentioned before on forum)
.. The front engine mounts have redesigned by alfa and must make engine sit a bit lower...But main issue is lower arms are alternative manufacturer parts and have ever so slightly different clearance to orginal Alfa ones
Possibly not helped by non-OEM driveshaft part

Mechanic simpley shaved 5mm off part of driverside lower arm( angle-grinder :eek: ) and hey presto knocking is gone.....better way would probably be try and source greater clearance lower arms (maybe orginal Alfa...dont know)

Anyway thats my tuppence worth, but that not the end of my repair bills :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi I also had the same problem replaced all the engine mounts with no difference, then did the same shaved about 5mm off the lower wishbone mount as mine was not an original part and had less clearance noise gone.
may not be your problem but you can check by looking how much clearance you have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts