Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I discovered the previous owner of my Alfa did a cheap fix to sort out the air bag light (black electrical tape over the light!). So I got the diags on it only to find it's been fried - he tried to bump start it and it killed the air bag ECU :rant:

So I've just bought another one off ebay, but the bloke sent a different numbered ECU. My ecu number is: 60664962 and he's sent me: 60655033

Does anyone know if these are compatible and can I use it? I've been waiting months to try and find the right one and very disappointed at this stage.... any help appreciated :)

L

·
0 Posts
does it have the same colour connector? your's is a yellow coloured connector, is the replacement also yellow? if it is then plug it in but be sure to us eone of the 10mm bolt to earth it. if it doesn't work i may have one suitable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses - yes it is a yellow connector on the replacement so I hope it does work.

Thanks David C (I saw your other posts and hoped you'd reply :thumbs:) - do you know the difference between mine and the older one, ie. is it less air bags or something like that? Will I be ok to run it?

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Do you just have a drivers airbag?
Your ECU and the one sent to you are both for a 156 with just a driver's airbag (ie a very early 156)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just checked and I have a drivers and passengers airbag (and I have a yellow cable under the passenger seat - if that's helpful)... It's the wrong ecu isn't it? :cry:

Correction - I have a SRS symbol on the passenger side, not necessarily an airbag!

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Both your ECUs are wrong...

Edit: do you have a pop-out section above the glovebox?

L

·
0 Posts
that ECU will not suit your car if it has 2 airbags [ steering wheel & above glove box ]. Another consideration is that your car, been a '99, may have a passengers seat sensor, look under the seat if you see a 2 wire connection then the ecu will need to have the capability. as before if you need one please feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, that's a nightmare then as I don't know which one I need. I've just paid £60 for this ecu so I guess I could run it??

L

·
0 Posts
the fact it has & is looking for less functions it shoudl still operate. the only thing in the event of an accident only one airbag would deploy.

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
I don't know what happens if you put a single-airbag ECU into a dual-airbag car.

As for your car: 60665492 or 60658009 .... interestingly though ePER also has 60655033 as previously used p/n

So worth a try!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again to you both - I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on, fingers crossed...... better not tell the wife her air bag might not work :tut:

PS I've just heard from January 2012, if the air bag light is on, it will automatically be an MOT failure - so the key will be whether or not it turns the light off!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so I've replaced the ECU and fitted it to the car. Got eactly the same fault :cry:

I've tried Alfadiag, FiatECUscan and KWP71 - all of which tell me about the same thing. Alfadiag error is 0001 - Internal fault, the other software say the same thing (something is wrong but none of them are sure what!).

The only thing I notice in common is using Alfadiag, on Real Time Status 3: it shows the following:

Parameter One
Accelerometer 1: True <--- What is this? Both ECU's show this value as true!
Accelerometer 2: False
Accelerometer 3: False
Battery 1: False
Battery 2: False
ASIC 1: False
ASIC 2: False
ASIC 3: False

I've sent a message to AlfaDiag directly in the hope they know what sensor or element of the aig bag system this refers to? I'm getting fed up with the light and don't really want to disconnect the bulb but at this rate I have little choice. I'm not buying a 3rd ECU for it!

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? I've cleared the codes probably 10 times but the light stays on and the fault number/code remains.

PS I didn't see a earthing cable or anything when I fitted the new ECU so I'm not sure how to test the earth - I think it's earthed internally??

L

·
0 Posts
"0001 - Internal fault" means the EPROM of the ecu is corrupt. You need ANOTHER ecu. The ECU earths thro the 3 10mm bolts, if its bolted, its earthed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see, no worries, I put all 3 bolts back in so there's got to be an earth (had it tight too!).

I don't know much about all this, other than what I'm picking up of the forums, but I do see an eProm setting in Alfadiag under real-time status 3 / parameter 2 which I'm guessing means its ok??:

Parameter Two
Microprocessor: False
Safety Sensor 1: False
Eeprom: False
Voltage Regulator: False
Driver Smart Led: False
Driver For Inhibition Loading Light: False
Safety Sensor 2: False

It seems funny that both ECUs are reporting exactly the same thing so are you sure I need another one?

L

·
0 Posts
yes. if you are communicating to the ECU using Alfadiag or FES then the ECU is powered up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks mate, in that case I'll have to try a 3rd ECU. I've gone back to the bloke I bought the replacement ECU from and hope to get an exchange... if not, and you still have one, I may need to come back to you :)

L

·
0 Posts
if he is a good lad he'll send you a working module, thats the best way to resolve your issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts