Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have just brought an alfa 156 2.0 t spark and I was driving it home and noticed that when I was driving the temp guage read below 50 and when I was stationary rose to around 70 which I still felt was too low. Now my first instinct was that the stat must be stuck open, however the strange thing was that when the car was staionary at around 70 the fan still kicked. I would of thought this was way to low for the fan to kick in so I was wondering if my propblem could be due to a faulty sensor?

any help would be much appricated

Thanks
Luke

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Now I did say I would only post in the GTA lounge and anything to do with the GTAs but thought I would help you out :)

Sounds like you have a sticky thermostat...change that and the temp probe (about £15) and she'll be totally fine :thumbs:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help mate, is it best to go to alfa for the parts or are aftermarket parts from euro car parts ok?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys just thought i'd give some brought a thermostat from eurocarparts came to less than £45 including the coolant and clips...Got 25% off by typing in Winter25 at the checkout online :)
The temperture is better it now runs at 70 which I still think is to low so I will get a temp sender aswell, but I didnt get this first off as they didnt have them and as its easy to get to thought i'd give just the stat ago first.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
first question - is your aircon on? aircon will pulse the low speed fan every now and again. turn it off and then try.

secondly do you have diagnostic software? pound to a pinch of **** the temp sender is shagged and telling pork pies to you.

plug her up and have a ganders at what temp the ECU is seeing, then you will know.

I know my temp sender is at least 20 deg out, if not 30, as the ECU sees a higher temp.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Recently changed my thermostat - was reading 50-60. Now reads 70-80 moving and 90 stationary.

The sender may be knackered but the engine is running at the right temp when its hooked up to computer.

Use Alfa dials and guages as a guide only :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts