Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have an Alfa 156 2.0 T Spark with an odd problem (well I think its odd!!)

When I start the car in the morning and go to pull away, the engine looses power, revs etc, and I have to put the clutch back in and give it some more revs so I can pull away...

Now 1-2 minutes down the road it will be fine, like normal, when I pull away when the car has warmed up a little..

I have disconnected the MAF sensor but that just looses ALL power, if I try and pull away it runs VERY rough...

Any ideas what this can be? Ive looked around the forums but cant see the exact same fault...

So when cold it looses power but 1-2 mins (when warm) its fine...

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jub

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, if you give it a little more revs then its fine, but if I keep doing that, one I`ll waste fuel and two I look like I cant drive lol !!

So you swapped your MAF as a test and it went away?

Jub

·
Registered
257 Posts
Fun starts @ 3000!
Look in the tips section
"Lack of power on cold engine"

It might shed some light on the matter ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well ive just taken out my MAF sensor to find out that it doent look like its a genuine Bosch part...

I take it would say Bosch somewhere on it right?!

Ive given it a blast or compressed air using my compressor, but to be honest the part looks brand new!

Ive only had the car 6 weeks, so dont know if it has been changed or not...

Jub

·
0 Posts
AFAIK when unplugging the MAF for elimination purposes, the engine should rev freely, but idle will be rough - so doesn't sound like thats the prob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I unplugged the MAF the idle speed fluctuated slightly up and down, and if I tried to rev the engine it would die, as if it was flooding the engine if you know what I mean....

Jub

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
how old are the spark plugs? they have a 60k life span

how old are the lambdas? these have a 80k life span

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
how old are the spark plugs? they have a 60k life span

how old are the lambdas? these have a 80k life span
No they don't.

This problem could be solved with an ECU reset and a genuine Bosch MAF imo, you should also clean your throttle body and check that the breather hoses haven't split.

And just make sure there's no oil or water down your plug holes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All the hoses were changed by the last owner... The car had everything done on it prior to me having it, new discs pads all round, suspension, brake lines, thermostat, timing belt and pre-tensioners etc etc... the list goes on!

Its just this lack of power when cold first thing thats annoying me lol once she is warm she flies!!

Theres some MAFs on eBay for like £24-£29 do you think these are any good? or should I pay the £70-£120 for a Bosch one?

Thanks

Jub

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
I would say it was a lambda sensor issue.

They are supposed to have a heater inside which ensures tht they get up to operating temperature quickly.

If that fails then it will take a while for it to get to temperature and performance will suffer.

As said above, they do tend to be slightly down on performance when cold due to ECU programming (emissions???) but it shouldn't make the car undriveable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not thats its undriveable, its in daily use, I just have to give it a little more revs than normal when cold to pull away....

Where is the lambda sensor?

Jub

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Its not thats its undriveable, its in daily use, I just have to give it a little more revs than normal when cold to pull away....

Where is the lambda sensor?

Jub
On the exhaust, theres a wire coming from it connecting at the top back of the engine.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
All the hoses were changed by the last owner... The car had everything done on it prior to me having it, new discs pads all round, suspension, brake lines, thermostat, timing belt and pre-tensioners etc etc... the list goes on!

Its just this lack of power when cold first thing thats annoying me lol once she is warm she flies!!

Theres some MAFs on eBay for like £24-£29 do you think these are any good? or should I pay the £70-£120 for a Bosch one?

Thanks

Jub
steer clear :eek:, stick to Bosch units

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, thanks for the info peeps. I think I will have a go at swapping out the MAF and lambda sensor...

The car just had an MOT and passed with flying colours on the emissions, so if the lambda sensor was playing up would it fail on the emissions?

Thanks

Jub

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I cant find the lambda sensor... Where is it on a 1998 2.0 T Spark?

It has the plastic rocker cover if thats any help lol

Also I cant find any car manuals for the 156, not even Haynes do one?!?

Jub

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Forgot I had an Alfa Workshop DVD Rom!! DOH...

I have no idea if my 156 is pre-catalyst etc theres so many variants on this in the manual...

GEEZ! lol

Jub

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im totally lost here lol, theres pre-catalyst lambda sensor, catalyst ones, upper left and upper right ones....

How many are there on this car lol

Jub

1 - 20 of 29 Posts