Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheers all,

I'm a bit confused on this one and quite alarmed :

This test procedure has been conducted dozens of times so I know it is only showing up due to Cruise Control being ON.

In the past few months here are the fixes done to the car :

- New thermostat
- New MAF
- Soldering mod on pre-cat lambdas

Now the problem :

- on highway, engage Cruise Control
- car runs fine until it reaches a hill or downhill
- at this point, I can feel the car accelerating slightly (or slowing) to keep up with the set speed
- and then MCSF light comes in, and car looses all speed : even shifting gears down and pressing full throttle can't make the revs go higher than 2k rpms and speed above 30-40 km/h.

I then have to pull to car out of the road, stop the engine, wait 10s and restart : all is fine, except for the MCSF light that stays.

Reading error codes with FiatECUScan always shows the same error :

P1337 - Torque Control (comparison)

Since this never happens when driving without Cruise control, I would assume there is something on the control loop that makes the car go to limp mode.

Does anyone have an idea or maybe someone already faced this ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I take it you can't reproduce this by driving in the same manner with CC off? CC should just be a replacement for the fly-by-wire input from the throttle to the ECU.

I can see why it would get confused by mismatched brake/clutch switch positions etc but nothing that would cause MCSF without appearing under non-CC driving.

Unfortunately all the results for that fault code involve your own threads, so you're out on a bit of a limb.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right : I couldn't never reproduce this with CC off....

I drove about 3,000 miles with CC off without this problem, and this morning I gave it a try, since I went through the soldering lambdas mod and wanted to check if it had any impact.

MCSF and limp mode came in less than 5 min (first downhill that came along)....

And yes, I've looked all over the internet : it seems I'm the only one with this problem....

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
There is nothing to say that error codes mean the same thing across manufacturers or even models, but if you look at other marque problems, then P1337 means crankshaft speed sensor, so that might be an area to investigate. The common failure there is difficulty starting when hot, but maybe a marginal failure is enough to throw the ECU CC calculations out and produce limp mode.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks... sadly, it really looks like I should to an Alfa garage and have them verify this.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Probably. If you're handy with working on your own car then I believe you could measure the resistance across it as an initial test - there are many threads on here about the more common failure with the sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
P1337 Fault Code when Cruise Control changes speed

JB1979- I have just started having the same problem. I have a 2009 159 3.2L JTS.

It started about a month ago on a drive about an hour away after using the CC steady at 140km/hr. All of the sudden, the cruise control clicked off and engine light went on. I was still able to drive it but only after turning the CC off and restarting the car. I had it checked at the Alfa dealer here and the diagnostic produced fault code P1337 but only intermittent and not permanent. They cleared the code and said to keep an eye on it.

A few weeks later, same deal. This time on a 10min drive going up a slight incline with the CC on. I took it back and they said the P1337 fault code was now permanent and advised to change the crank sensor. They had to order it from Italy so I drove it for another week waiting - the whole time not using the CC, driving daily and not having the problem.

So they installed the new crank sensor a few days ago and on my way home from work i decided to test it out. I was in the fast lane with the CC on and someone cut in so i had to brake. When they got out of my way, I pressed the resume button to come back up to 120km/hr and boom.. same problem. CC off and engine light on with loss of power.

The car is now back at the dealer awaiting advice from Alfa technicians in Italy. I have been reading a lot of threads and it really could be anything I guess although 1 thread talked about the EGR and the vacuum system used to regulate speed when using the CC. It could be dirty or have a small hole in the hose causing this issue?

Does this seem at all likely? Has anyone out there had the same issue and know the fix??

I guess I'll continue driving without using the CC and hope eventually someone can figure this out...

·
Registered
5 Posts
After entering my post headed "Wingnuts" regarding the Fault code P1337, I found your post relating to the same problem.
Can you advise if you ever found a solution ? I would be really appreciative.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel like it may have been related to the fuel pump. There was a small crack in the lid of mine so I had that and the seal repaired and haven't had the fault code since. Can you check your fuel pump and let me know? I've wondered if it was in fact the cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I am really surprised by your apparent fix. It's hard to figure how a defect in the fuel pump has such an effect on the cruise control. Also, there are two fuel pumps on the 2.0 L JTS, an electric one in the fuel tank that operates at 4.5 bar and mechanical radial pump on the engine that operates at 100 bar. I presume yours is the same so can you advise which pump had the defect.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 159 3.2L JTS. For me, I only had the issue when the car was accelerating while using CC. This is why I thought it was related to my faulty fuel pump. It could be completely unrelated. The fuel pump I am talking about is the one in the fuel tank (mine is underneath the back passenger seat).

Obviously there are enough of us having the exact same problem to where it should be narrowed down to a specific cause yet this is still stumping mechanics and it's too expensive to replace/repair every related part and sensor. If you do determine there is an issue with your fuel pump, this problem may be solved once and for all. Let me know if you find a different solution. I'm very interested in case the fault code is ever produced again in my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
156 2.0 JTS Selespeed Motor Control Failure

Back in Jan 2014 I reported having the same problem as others with the engine going into limp mode whilst (maybe coincidently) on cruise control. It has now happened two more times but with an amazing twist!. The three times it has happened, it has been on the same road and in exactly the same location. Now comes the wierd bit. At the location where it occurs, (near Adelaide, South Australia) it is directly under the overhead high tension power feed lines to the city. As I have travelled thousands of kilometres elsewhere between these events without any sign of a problem, it seems that it can only be an electro magnetic interference from the power lines that is causing the problem. To get mobile again I disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the fault goes away. When checked later the fault shows up as P1337. Now that I have discovered this phenomenon does it ring any bells with anyone else ? or better still, does anyone know the solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts