Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all...
new to all this......i recently thought i bought a bargain on ebay was 156 1.8 twinspark 2001 y reg black with red leather etc etc....all was fine and great loved it.2 weeks later breaks down engine knocking.....now i wanna keep the car cause i like it so im looking for another engine to go in it...can any one tell me which fits 1.8 2.0 etc,ive been told by a guy mine has the later 1.8 twin spark engine in it 99-06 and i can manage to find are engines from early cars 98 etc, what is the difference they look same under bonnet :-??
plus any one know of a good engine for sale?
cheers regards marc

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Yep. Whatever one you get, anything that might be different can be taken off your existing car.

For example, your exhaust manifold will be different (assuming it's the CF3 engine with additional CATs), but just take the one off the donor engine and fit yours to it.

Same will go for the throttle body, which will probably by electronic on yours and cable on an older one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coud i fit a 2.0 then? much differene between 1.8 and 2.0 ecu etc ??
and is earlyer 1 .8 same ower et as later ones?

·
Registered
14 Posts
id stick to putting the 1800 back cos even tho the 2.0 and 1.8 look the same there alot more work in putting in a 2.0

·
Registered
267 Posts
+agree, and 2.0 is more powerfull and consumes a little bit more.....so i would get a 2.0 if i where you...

·
Registered
14 Posts
i know what our saying alright ignor that, just found from working on the two the 1800 easier eeg taking the head off is lot tricker on 2.0.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
i know what our saying alright ignor that, just found from working on the two the 1800 easier eeg taking the head off is lot tricker on 2.0.
Sure you're not thinking of the 1.6? It has a much smaller inlet chamber, which makes it no problem to get at the PITA bolts.

The 1.8's and 2.0's have the same, large, chamber which makes things a bit tight...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive been offered a 2.0 twin spark engine...but it will come just as the engine....will all my inlets ,exhaust,throttle ,belts etc etc all go on to this engine? mines a 1.8 remember

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Yes...although I'm a bit wary about your question referring to "belts".....you aren't thinking of re-using the cambelt are you? Basic rule when changing an engine is to fit new belts and tensioners before fitting, as its a lot easier with the engine out......also a 2.0 has an extra belt (the balance shaft belt) - compared to the 1.8.

Depending on what car the donor engine came from, you may well have to change most of the sensors on the engine - but everything will swap over. Particularly check the cam sensor (blue connector) as if you need to swap this you will need to do so before fitting the new cambelt - you may need to swap the exhaust cam pulley also...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so are the sensors the same as whats on my 1.8 engine?,whats a balence shaft belt?? can i just fit every thing off my 1.8 onto the 2.0?....make it look like the 1.8 but really im using the 2.0.
as for belts i only just put new cambelt kit onto my 1.8, only done less than 200 miles, this should be fine to go on to right?? is the same??

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
The 2-litre has a second, thinner, belt that drives 2 counter-rotating shafts that help balance the engine. It should be changed at the same time as the timing belt, because if it fails it can get itself tangled up and wreck it.

For the sake of £20, fit a new timing belt. They really shouldn't be re-used. Use the tensioner and idler that you've put on the 1.8 by all means!

Depending on the year, the sensors will be the same. Anything that isn't can be swapped from the 1.8 onto the replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts