Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

One of the screw mounts on the lid of my air box lid is broken so the lid isn't sealing properly. I would like it to seal to ensure the car is running as it should. Does anyone have a complete lid that isn't broken or damaged with the screws they would like to donate/sell?

Cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi all,

One of the screw mounts on the lid of my air box lid is broken so the lid isn't sealing properly. I would like it to seal to ensure the car is running as it should. Does anyone have a complete lid that isn't broken or damaged with the screws they would like to donate/sell?

Cheers
Good luck with that one mate! I've not found one in 9 months for a 1.9. They are always broken, breakers just can't get them off without wrecking them, they are always to rusted.

I rang Alfa and I'm sure the answer was upwards of £350 as they don't hold stock and are a special one off made part

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is one on eBay for about £55. Search under Alfa 156 air box. Reckon I can repair mine with a little bracket....

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
PM Dan (Pud237) at autolusso, they might have one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is one on eBay for about £55. Search under Alfa 156 air box. Reckon I can repair mine with a little bracket....
Fair tackle mate. The 4 I have purchased have either fell through or arrived with damaged brackets. Mines a diesel admittedly and a slightly different design.

From my experience he's not opened the top to get the filter out because he's knows what will happen when he does!

If you make a bracket, let me in on the plan mate. I'm really struggling to think of a plan

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I went onto ebay to see if I could find one for you and ended up finding one for myself complete with MAF for only £30! On mine 2 of the screw lugs have broken off so the lid was only held on with 1 screw and didn't seal. This one looks in good shape. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 1.8 one.

I would recomend that everyone replace their airbox lid retaining screws with stainless steel screws at the earliest oppertunity and never overtighten them. The screws are not meant to be done up crazy tight.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went onto ebay to see if I could find one for you and ended up finding one for myself complete with MAF for only £30! On mine 2 of the screw lugs have broken off so the lid was only held on with 1 screw and didn't seal. This one looks in good shape. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 1.8 one.

I would recomend that everyone replace their airbox lid retaining screws with stainless steel screws at the earliest oppertunity and never overtighten them. The screws are not meant to be done up crazy tight.
I've managed to source one through an Alfa breaker on eBay. The whole air box, undamaged for £10 inc postage! Even going to spray WD40 on all the screws befor sending. Hopefully a right result!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know when something sounds too good to be true!?

Well, an air box for £10 was. The seller has come back and reported it as broken so on the hunt again. The usual thieving breakers out there who think they've got gold dust and want £50+ for one (probably what they paid for the car!). Will probably fix it myself if no luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thieving breakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In belgium a new one 5 years ago 850 €

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thieving breakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In belgium a new one 5 years ago 850 €
I don't think anyone with any ounce of intelligence would pay that. Or £50 for a tatty air box with rusty bolts for that matter. Think I'll just make an aluminium clip and use a couple of stainless self-tappers which will hold it shut on the one corner that is affected - unless someone has one for sale for a half-sensible price!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
You know when something sounds too good to be true!?

Well, an air box for £10 was. The seller has come back and reported it as broken so on the hunt again. The usual thieving breakers out there who think they've got gold dust and want £50+ for one (probably what they paid for the car!). Will probably fix it myself if no luck.
Sorry to hear that. very disapointing.

I don't want to make you jealous but mine arrived yesterday in excellent condition. Parts seperated and undamaged including a 2nd hand genuine MAF for the princly sum of £30. Well chuffed. Will be replacing the screws with stainless before assembling and will also put a dab of copper slip on the steel sleeves that the screws pass through.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear that. very disapointing.

I don't want to make you jealous but mine arrived yesterday in excellent condition. Parts seperated and undamaged including a 2nd hand genuine MAF for the princly sum of £30. Well chuffed. Will be replacing the screws with stainless before assembling and will also put a dab of copper slip on the steel sleeves that the screws pass through.
Good call and glad yours worked out. The guy selling mine didn't sound particularly knowledgable but at least I got a refund without issue. I think I can probably make a small 'L-shaped' aluminium bracket with a screw on each face that will be enough to hold it down. Then it'll be free! I'm certainly not going to pay £50 or upwards for a knackered second-hand air box. That's about 5% of what I paid for the car!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Had I not found the 2nd hand airbox, my plan was to use some 2 part epoxy putty to repair the screw holes. The same might work for you? something like quick steel or chemical metal?

Just don't do what the last person to service my car did and drill through the lid at a random point at the edge and put in a long screw! It didn't even slightly work.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
This is the sort of thing I considered when I had my 156, never did get round to it.

In my mind it would work, mount the hook part so it just overhangs the edge of the lid, mount the clasp part to the side of the airbox, lock it down.

The ones I've linked to might be a bit too large, but you get the idea.

All the best

Pub

Reactions: Unkle Munkle
1 - 14 of 14 Posts