Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine at work got a stone through the radiator of his 155 yesterday. He has found someone to repair it, but has to take it off. As he doesn't come on line he has aked me to see if anyone has done this before. Does anyone have a list of actions to remove the radiator, or can anyone who has done it share the pitfalls or the technique.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Peter S

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Car fitted with aircon is a bit more difficult I think but basically remove the fan and shroud, then simply drain the coolant (remove bottom hose) and unbolt the radiator. Easy job.

wrinx

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wrinx, in the 16V. I think you have to take off the front grill and the front bumper enterily because you have to get it from below and the car in a ramp!

Maybe I can be wrong but.............good luck Peter S. :(

Cheers

Jorge

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wrinx said:
Car fitted with aircon is a bit more difficult I think but basically remove the fan and shroud, then simply drain the coolant (remove bottom hose) and unbolt the radiator. Easy job.

wrinx
Thanks Wrinx,

I will pass this on to my colleague on Monday.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jorge Delgado said:
Wrinx, in the 16V. I think you have to take off the front grill and the front bumper enterily because you have to get it from below and the car in a ramp!

Maybe I can be wrong but.............good luck Peter S. :(

Cheers

Jorge
Thanks Jorge,

I will pass this on to my colleague on Monday.

Regards

Peter S

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes, I want to know also what is the correct method , I will have my turn to this job prox. weeks ! :rant:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Me too, I need both a new rad and a new aircon exchange unit :(

Would be nice to know what needs to come off for the rad to be removed without alot of pain and suffering as I intend to buy the parts and do this with a friend of mine who used to be a mechanic. I certainly could do with pointers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Replaced the rad on my '96 WB V6 a wee while ago. It has A/C (that does't work).. Followed the book - jack up high, remove front bumper, front lower crossmember droped down, rad & condenser (eventually) drop out the bottom. I looked but didn't think it would be possible to persuade it out the top without removing even more than doing it the 'right' way.

Had to remove indicators to get at bolts holding grille trims, front grille, front arch liners then bumper comes off easy - 4 bolts I think.

A few of the bolts holding the fan shroud and condensor to the rad snapped so get some spares.

Actually not too bad a job, although it didn't help that the A/C couplings were cross-threaded and a total ar5e to get at. Not sure why I bothered putting the condensor back on to be honest.....

HTH

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If its the V6 with aircon then the rad has to come out of the bottom of the engine bay. The grill and bumper need to be removed and the slam plate, you will also need to disconnect the aircon pipes which means evacuating the gas and the power steering piping across the bottom of the rad will need disconnecting. Should take a good day to day and a half or in my case three days (helps if you can work indoors when it rains... :eek: )

san

·
Banned
3 Posts
It says in the manual to take the rad out of the bottom of the engine bay, but it is possible to take it out from the top. ;) ;)
You'll still need to remove the grille to get at the 2 top mounting screws and the 6 screws that hold the front rad shroud on, then take the cooling fan off, drain the coolant and if you take the dipstick out you should be able to extricate the rad eventually :) :)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
alfa155.org said:
It says in the manual to take the rad out of the bottom of the engine bay, but it is possible to take it out from the top. ;) ;)
You'll still need to remove the grille to get at the 2 top mounting screws and the 6 screws that hold the front rad shroud on, then take the cooling fan off, drain the coolant and if you take the dipstick out you should be able to extricate the rad eventually :) :)
It says alot of things in the manual that should be treated with caution... :D

san

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sanitary says:
you will also need to disconnect the aircon pipes which means evacuating the gas and the power steering piping across the bottom of the rad will need disconnecting.

Why to disconnect aircon pipes and steering ??? :confused:

Please explain me, i´m just sick thinking all this job and costs ! :eek:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Jorge Delgado said:
Sanitary says:
you will also need to disconnect the aircon pipes which means evacuating the gas and the power steering piping across the bottom of the rad will need disconnecting.

Why to disconnect aircon pipes and steering ??? :confused:

Please explain me, i´m just sick thinking all this job and costs ! :eek:

Cheers
On mine the pipes run across the bottom of the rad carrier and to be able to move the rad enough these had to be disconnected

The steering is easy, just undo one of the joints and let the fluid drain out, the system is self bleeding one topped up (just remember to top it back up... :eek: ) The aircon should have the gas removed and re-gassed by an aircon engineer, I was in a hurry and was naughty and just vented it... :tut: I think the car can be run without the aircon being gassed (ran mine for a week until I was able to get it gassed again). Others may know more.

Note: this was on a V6 and was to enable me to change the fan :rolleyes:
Other engines may be different

san

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Is it not just easier to spend an hour (if that) removing the slam panel?? you wouldn't nec. have to disconnect the bonnet catch etc as you'd only need to push it back? Advantage being you'd not need to re-gas....only a thought

·
Registered
550 Posts
My mech told me today that he uses to do it like Thompatruck says and he does not touch the bumper ! :eek:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I did mine as per the book (as in I did the work myself so know whereof I speak). I didn't need to drain the power steering, as I said I did remove the bumper and drop the lower crossmember out the way. I think it would be very tricky, if not near impossible to remove the A/C condenser from the rad in situ..but am happy to accept it's possible if somebody says they've done it.

Mechanics will often find a quicker way to do something if they can. If this happens to involve snapping off the odd fixing that can't be reached, well, so be it.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Thompatruck1 said:
Is it not just easier to spend an hour (if that) removing the slam panel?? you wouldn't nec. have to disconnect the bonnet catch etc as you'd only need to push it back? Advantage being you'd not need to re-gas....only a thought

Not on mine unfortunately :rolleyes: has to be rad out of the bottom on the V6 with aircon :(

san

1 - 20 of 20 Posts