Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st of all i would like to apologise to all alfisti here before i proceed with my question.

Is there any possibility to convert ALFA 155 with an automatic transmission? i really love and enjoy with my AR155 TS 16v 1.8... but i really tired to drive everyday in the traffic jams and sometimes almost "stranded" my leg pressing the clutch pedal.

I still want the ALFA feel...but with autotransmission.... any ideas...

thanks frown

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
physicaly changing from man to auto is not a problem, get a manual box/drive shafts/hubs/mounts etc.the problems start with the wiring and centre consol the loom would need changing to incorperate the standard auto features like not starting when in gear, brake lock on the shifter(if fitted),fault light and e.c.u.although not impossible it cant be worth the effort.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.......and lose all the fun of "double declutching" and "heel and toeing"???? No thanks wink

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
How about replaceing the hydraulic clutch system cylinder with an uprated one. Increase the size of the cylinder and the effort to use the clutch is less. I`m sure thai would be an easy upgrade from a larger car of any make.

Just a though but it would be easier than converting to auto.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
emmm..ok..what do u mean by thai? what kind of brand/type of the uprated hydraulic clutch system cylinder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
replacing the cylinder with a different one is not an option i would like to try.if the clutch is so heavy that you have trouble using it, it might be there is a problem like the release bearing seizing up on the guide shaft or the opperating arm that goes down into the gearbox could also be getting tight.i does happen even though it shouldnt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all the mechanical (engine, gearing etc)and electrical system of my car are working very well. My clutch also OK (quite soft).

I still wanted to keep the "charisma" of the ALFA155 overall! except the transmission system only...i plan to go for relax drive (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION)with my lovely ALFA155...and for sure i won't sell my 155

to CHRIS, what do u mean by thai? what kind of brand/type of the uprated hydraulic clutch system cylinder u mentioned about?

i got advise from somebody that suggest to transplant the engine&transmission by using any japan car eg. Honda 2.0 vtec auto or mitsubishi 2.0 turbo(4G63) auto.... my answers to them is NO!DON'T EVEN DREAM IT!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you realy realy want to do this mental conversion get yourself a written off auto take off every thing including wiring loom, cenre consol,you might even need the radiator you also need the peddal box the list goes on and on.it would be easier cheaper and less painfull to just buy on auto.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't the Alfa 164 come with an Automatic option?
Or was tha just in 3.0 litre size?

I think if you really want an Alfa auto in your 155 you may have to look at an engine/gearbox transplant from a 164 but it's not just the engine and box - you'll need the electrics, ECU, pedals, the gearlever and all the rest.

It'd be easier to get into a 164 (or 156 Selespeed - that has an "auto" mode, doesn't it?)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Alip,
On top of the clutch/gearbox housing is a small cylinder with what looks like a brake pipe going into it. This operates the clutch release mechanism.
If you fitted a larger (fatter) second-hand cylinder part from a different car (a fiat/alfa/lancia ?) then you will need less pressure on the clutch pedal to operate the clutch. The cylinder does not have to be much bigger for a reasonable difference to be noticed.
I have done a similar change on a competition car I build where the clutch was very heavy and this worked very well.
There will probably be some changes required to the mountings and you may need to make a new mounting bracket. If you are not familiar with the idea of as hydraulic clutches or with being your own mechanic then you must get professional help to do this change! Dont just try it yourself and ruin your Alfa!

If you do this properly then you will have a much lighter clutch. Not quite an Auto box but I think you can see from the other replies that this is not really possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems you would be better to find an auto 164

however if you insist:

This site might help you

www.drivetrain.com/autotranscrossref.html

There are only so many auto boxes out there.

I wouldnt guarantee a 164 box would fit, bulkhead closer to engine on a 155 but its about the best bet. You wont need to find only a 164 for this box. I mean if you did just drive the 164.
It seems the Alfa 164 auto used a ZF box.
A ZF 4HP18 too be exact. Same or similar box may have been used on some other cars. Scan through and find any car that had this ZF box and hopefully you will have a better idea which cars
might have sitable donor Auto box. When you have 4 or 5 diferent models you know have the 4HP18 box you have a better chance of finding a second hand one.

I believe the engine block on a TS is a derivative of the Fiat FIRE range. There are a hell of a lot of cars with Fiat FIRE engines in them some of these may also have suitable auto boxes.

Oh if you find a donar from an old fiat you may end up with a car that accelerates like a ******* but is all spent under a 100. Still if you live in Malaysia. The roads may not lent them selves to 3 figure speeds , you may prefer the low ratios.

Some BMW ZF boxes have very similar ZF code however these may be internally and mechanically similar to ZF in the 164 but are completely diferent in that they are aligned for rear wheel drive.

Wiring the "dont start engine in gear" should not be to dificult. "This is important to do!" The gearbox switch only needs to be an inline with the ignition switch circuit for the starter solenoid. Ie Starter motor should not engage with car in gear. "Dont start on ECU sense fault in gearbox". well this is just a new feature that your ECU cant cope with and which you dont need. Auto boxes are pretty reliable things.

Your car, you want to do it why not!

Just dont let some half wits (incompetents) do the job for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the ts engine is NOT the same as the fire (Fully Intergrated Robotised Engine)the ts is a version of the lancia engine that uses balance shafts(fire does'nt)also the fiat auto boxs are cvt(constantly variable transmision)your only hope of using a fiat box is to use a very early fiat croma box which is a ZF.in all honestly you may as well pee in the wind than find a good croma!!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi I've been thinking the same thing as I'm disabled (armpits down) but using the 155 2.5 v6 as base and a 164 or 166 auto box how would their bell housings align ?

Like the ruggedness of the 155 and my dad owned one.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I know alfachris did it. I'm wondering if it would be more of a strait swop with the 164 box.
Currently converting my Gt junior to an auto.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
No 164 box will not be a straight swop although the 2.5 motor will fit on it.
Nicus take my 166 for R 35000.00:thumbs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts