Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team Alfa,

I have recently aquired a 2002 Alfa 147 and have spent the last 2 months rectifying problems that have developed over the last 13 years as well as learning about the numerous "common" faults associated with these beutiful machines.

I recently snapped the plastic on the cars wiper mechanism "Common Fault" whilst reassembling the wipers after having first drained the bulkhead of water due to the drain plug at the bottom of the bulk head being blocked by leaf debris "Common Fault".

After finding a replacement wiper mechanism and fitting it I came to the realisation that the drivers side wiper arm was rubbing against the bonnet "Common Fault".

I have throught about how to rectify this issue and have come to the conclusion that a nice and easy fix would be to uprate the standard wiper blades with flat wiper blades.

I know this would drasticly change the "vintage" look of the 147 but I think this negative is outweighed by the performance improvements that the flat blades bring an hopefully this remedy will prevent the rubbing of the wiper arm against the bonnet.

What are your views?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Flatblades are so much better than the rattly frame type.
Go for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the wiper arm rubbing on bonnet indicated a failure in the mechanism, I noticed the arm rubbing against my bonnet, soon after the plastic linkage bit snapped. Double check nothing's bent or buckled.

Definitely opt for the flat blade type arms if possible, blades are more expensive but they perform a lot better and wind noise will be reduced at speed.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I think the wiper arm rubbing on bonnet indicated a failure in the mechanism.
Could just be the arm in the wrong position on the spline.
Or the linkage in the wrong position on the motor spline.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Most likely, in my case it was prior to the linkage failing (I noticed the blades were more juddery too).

I think there was at least 3 months before failure, I remember the arms were normal when clearing the washer jets, few months later I saw the bright silver wear mark on the arm - didn't really think anything of it, few weeks alter the linkage snaps

Not the biggest job in the world, just annoying

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've adjusted the wiper arm so that the wiper sits as close as possible to the bottom of the windscreen (at rest position). Unfortunately the wiper still rubs with the bonnet. I think i'll attempt to upgrade to flat blades. Hopefully this will reduce the overall height that the wiper arm sits at and stops the rubbing alll together.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I've adjusted the wiper arm so that the wiper sits as close as possible to the bottom of the windscreen (at rest position). Unfortunately the wiper still rubs with the bonnet.
When the wipers park in their rest position, is that the lowest they go during their full sweep?
If they go further down, then come up slightly and then stop, then the linkage needs moving on the motor spline.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the wipers park in their rest position, is that the lowest they go during their full sweep?
If they go further down, then come up slightly and then stop, then the linkage needs moving on the motor spline.
I'll check this a bit later and let you know. If this is the case, how easy is it to adjust the linkage on the motor spline?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just had a look. There is around +/-5mm of up and down movement during there sweep range. This movement is exagurated when the bonnet is closed and the wiper arm is rubbing against the bonnet. I think I need to rectify the issue to prevent fatigue of the weak plastic components . . .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just had a look. There is around +/-5mm of up and down movement during there sweep range. This movement is exagurated when the bonnet is closed and the wiper arm is rubbing against the bonnet. I think I need to rectify the issue to prevent fatigue of the weak plastic components . . .
Further to my last post, I've finally managed to get the issue rectified. I got a replacement wiper arm and got the connecting rod on the wiper bent slightly. There is now just enough clearance to prevent rubbing on the bonnet. Now all I need to do is buy some touch up paint for the rubbed area on the bonnet.

Thanks to everyone for their responses :byebye:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts