Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2002 147 1.6 TS 120hp. It's done 160 000km and the fuel consumption in the city is.........19 miles to the UK gallon. I know. Sheesh. So, I tried removing the MAF, and the car does have a unsteady "going back to idle" ritual but it drives OK, mind you with less power of course, but the CONSUMPTION WENT DOWN...i'm sure. And the petrol smell that comes out of the exhaust is gone when the MAF isn't connected. So my question is, what are my chances that I am going to fix it just by buying a MAF spray cleaner and just spraycleaning it out?
Also, I have heated seats and no cable to plug them into. I'm pretty sure the heated seats are stock so there should be an installation. Does anybody know where is the cable or am I blind? There are two connectors on the passenger seat (presumably airbag and heaters) and I have only the one cable :(
Thanks and bye from Croatia

·
Registered
245 Posts
Grab a new MAF. They're not hugely expensive. Do a forum search as people have worked out what MAFs from cheaper sources fit your car. The V6 for instance shares MAFs with stuff like Vauxhall Diesel Vans... Only issue will be to get the weird hex screws out but once you've done that you can just put regular Philips ones in there or something.

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
384 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a 2002 147 1.6 TS 120hp. It's done 160 000km and the fuel consumption in the city is.........19 miles to the UK gallon. I know. Sheesh. So, I tried removing the MAF, and the car does have a unsteady "going back to idle" ritual but it drives OK, mind you with less power of course, but the CONSUMPTION WENT DOWN...i'm sure. And the petrol smell that comes out of the exhaust is gone when the MAF isn't connected. So my question is, what are my chances that I am going to fix it just by buying a MAF spray cleaner and just spraycleaning it out?
Also, I have heated seats and no cable to plug them into. I'm pretty sure the heated seats are stock so there should be an installation. Does anybody know where is the cable or am I blind? There are two connectors on the passenger seat (presumably airbag and heaters) and I have only the one cable :(
Get a new MAF - but buy a reputable brand, not some Chinese off make.
If there's no connector in the car for the heated seats, then chances are the seats in your car has been swapped at some point. Heated seat was an optional extra, so your car may have been delivered without.

Only issue will be to get the weird hex screws out but once you've done that you can just put regular Philips ones in there or something.
It's just a security torx (anti tamper) screw. Bits kits can be found several places :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Go Bosch, I think I paid £50 back then and I can't imagine they've gone up loads as they're a common part.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
The other item might be the lambda sensor(s). I had an NTK unit fitted to my TS and the fuel consumption got worse. Replaced it with a Bosch and it was much better and the engine more responsive.

Doing some research I found the NTK was a different ohm rating to the Bosch .. !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I cleaned the MAF today with Liquimoly MAF cleaner and the consumption (avg) went from 15.5 L/100km to 12L/100km so its quite an improvement. I may in the coming days check out the OBD so I can see if there are any faults with the lambda but yeah pretty happy for an 8€ investment haha.
Thanks again everybody and cheers!

·
Registered
384 Posts
12L/100km is still terrible, especially for a 1.6TS.
I've had my 2.0TS on 10.9L/100km, but that's short trips and towing a big box trailer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ive got an 1.6 TS,i could say it's not that bad,when the traffic is bad,and i do short trips,sometimes i get much worse than that.
If it takes you 10-15 min for a mile,than there's nothing wrong. Obviously,replacing the MAF wont hurt,except your wallet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuel pump leaking on the white plastic top part. Same problem on my dad's Punto mk1 a while back. Changing it soon, calculated consumption in the city is 11.5L. Hope it goes down at least half a liter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 70.000km 1,6 TS needs about 11lt for 100kms. My worst consumption is 55lt for ...300km (with 140-160 km speed and aircondition always on).

·
Registered
384 Posts
My 70.000km 1,6 TS needs about 11lt for 100kms. My worst consumption is 55lt for ...300km (with 140-160 km speed and aircondition always on).
55 litres of fuel for 300km? You need your car checked!

·
Registered
167 Posts
No, it had only about 2000 kms on the clock then....but try to do it (with the same speed and the airconditioning in cold all the time and you will see for yourself.These cars never consumed less than 11lt/100kms, and their consumption after 130-140 kms speed was outrageous. Today the same consumption has 280hp Giulia, while a Hyundai N (275hp) has less, not to mention other cars like VW Golf GTI, or Seat Leon Cupra (300hp) which are between 9-10lts/100 kms. If you want to compare them to a similar AR of 147/156/GT age (I mean in terms of horsepower) you can compare these to a 3,2 GTA which never consumed less than 15-17lt/100kms. In a track these numbers were between 19-20lts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The 1.6TS 120hp is rated at 11.2L/100km for city driving & 8.4L/100km for combined. 55 litres over 300km is a consumption of 18.3L/100km - that's not right, no matter how you put it. My 2.0TS uses less than 9L/100km on the motorway @130kmh, with AC on. Going up to 150kmh will under no circumstances more than double the consumption. Not in a 1.6TS either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts