Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need a bit of help:

1 - My display screen on a regular basis says: engine oil pressure low, however when I check the oil all is fine, why could this be?

2 - I had my car serviced but seems like the service meter or computer has not been reset, can I do this myself?

Please please please help me - I'm a 27 year old female with al lot to say when in comes to shopping but cars.....? well, no comment!!!!! :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

L

·
0 Posts
1 - My display screen on a regular basis says: engine oil pressure low, however when I check the oil all is fine, why could this be?

Have oil [ 4.5 litre of a liquid ] in the engine is different to have oil pressure [ pressuired oil via a hydlraulid pump ] in the engine.

However, assuming the engine actually has pressure then its either a faulty pressure switch [ at the back of the engine near the alternator ] or there is a loose connection going onto the body comupter [ located behind the fuse panel ].

BUT if its is low oil pressure the engine will be very noisey/rattley & will soon destroy itself.

2 - I had my car serviced but seems like the service meter or computer has not been reset, can I do this myself? The Owners manaul might explain it or ther eis a Menu option, scroll down to Service, then press + and - buttons together for 10 seconds [ that might resert it ]

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Mine only comes up if I stall it, but ie heard that the 147 service indicator needs to be reset at a dealer, or someone with access to a full copy of fiatecuscan, even though this resets it to 0 and stops the service light coming up on startup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Lacken156

The engine is a bit noisy and rattly - however had it redone just two weeks ago....what could cause this problem if I may ask and currently I'm using 20W50 oil in the Alfa......is this a NO GO?

I'm not a man hence know nothing bout cars......I beg of you to please give me some lead......advise..... :confused:

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Natasha,

20W50 ... WRONG OIL!!! You need 10W40 Semi synthetic ...

But that might have been put in to try and quieten it down thinking it was a "thicker" oil.

How long have you had the car and do you know anything about it's history?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lacken,

I had to have the head re-done and polished the cam (if that's wot you call it). Hope this helps....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gazza,

Should I rather have the engine flushed and have 10w40 be put in there? I don't know much about the car except that on piston one just when I bought the car - I think it was called a bearing knock or something but the fact that the head had to be re-done (have the car about 2years now). I again had the head done because a shutter noise in the engine started again and I was afraid that it might just cause another knock of some sort.....

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
The knocking will have been down to a bearing shell and that may have suggested that the cam belt had failed at some stage. But bearing shells are also a reason why you would get "low oil pressure" messages, so I hope they did the work properly last time, and it is just the usual dodgy 147 pressure switch.

I've not used a engine flush and I've heard different tales on how good/bad they are for the engine, so I'd just change the oil and probably the filter.

Not sure what you mean by the "shutter" noise ... and having a cam polished doesn't sound like something I've ever heard of. I hope your mechanic isn't trying it on with extra unnecessary work just because you are female! Happens in UK a lot!

I take it they fitted a new cambelt, etc when they put it back.

There are a few SA Alfisti on this forum .. I hope that one of your local members will be able to help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think that your problem is the wrong oil you have. Just go to a decent mechanic and change the oil with a semi or full synthetic one (5/40 or 10/40) and get a new oil filter with... Hope I helped!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I will be VERY surprised if 20/50 oil is the cause of the problem especially as this is a SA based car! I suspect major engine issue or the beginning of a major engine issue but, without having heard the noise, that is a risky snap diagnosis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts