Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's with a heavy heart I've got to scrap my 147. My first liaison with Alfa has been cut short by the somewhat limited honesty of the seller.

I was advised it had failed its MOT on certain things, but only on finally receiving the V5 and then checking the History did I find the true story.
Never seen a failure sheet so bad, over a page, mostly suspension bushes and corrosion/welding.

Only option is really the scrap yard in the sky, but what's the best things to keep remove/sell to try and get my money back.

Aware of the obvious things, Red Leather, Alloys, BOSE speakers, Phone/Satnav, but what are the things that people need.

Sorry for the slightly mercenary post , but hope you can understand due to the above.

Regards

- Dave -

G

·
0 Posts
Hi sorry to hear about your car :(
Have you thought of getting another and using it as a donor car sounds like you need a decent shell.
What is the engine/gearbox like .
As for other bits trim bits such as the centre arm rest, switches, s/wheel as it is both selespeed and sat nav ,wing mirrors and body panels .grill trim brakes what ever is good .:thumbs:
Body computer locks and ignition locks and keys door handles.
Try the bits on here first and see how you go.
You might even find someone who will take it as a donor .
:thumbs:

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes, gibot123 is right, if you have a good engine it's worth money. Plus, if it's suspension you can sort most of it yourself if you spend a bit of time on here

·
Registered
19 Posts
sorry, forgot you had an SS. Selespeed pump. actuator etc. Cost a fortune new and a lot of alfa garages dont know where to get them from. From experience...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, forgot you had an SS. Selespeed pump. actuator etc. Cost a fortune new and a lot of alfa garages dont know where to get them from. From experience...
Going to have a go at removing these tomorrow. Where are they in the engine bay, and is it easy enough for a total numpty to remove.

Cheers

- Dave -

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm very interested in the selespeed acuator.......how much do you want for it ??????

·
Registered
565 Posts
How Much, as little as possible of course !!!

the unit is located on top of the gearbox, underneath the battery tray....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Help......

Can see the unit (I think)
believe its three bolts to remove. (have already got all the electrical connections off), but can only see one of the bolts.

Any help to locate the other two would be great.

Thanks

- Dave -

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well removed the three bolts and the "arm" on the left hand side, and unit is moving/free, but wont detach.

Appears there is a bolt/shaft (or something) underneath near the back in the middle that will not detach.

Any ideas.

Thanks again.

- Dave -

·
Registered
565 Posts
it will be where it's attached to the selector shaft, between the 3 M6 bolts at the back, behind a plug...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Have you got it off yet ?????

·
Registered
208 Posts
In what way has the v5 condemned this car? if your referring to a cat marker then your very much overreacting, it means NOTHING these days and certainly has no bearing on the quality of a car

Also a high list MOT sheet can be a jobsworth MOT tester, i had a 3 page failure sheet on a car once, i cleared the whole sheet in 1 and a half days, 4 items being front bushes which was solved by just replacing 2 front arms.

No offence here, i mean to help but you dont sound/come accross as an experinced diy'er and so splitting a car to get money back is not going to work, infact you could end up worse off if you end up with a half complete car and waiting for the money off the rest, please stop and think.

Wayne

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi there Wayne,

Not an experienced DIY;er which is another of the reasons that The car is being broken.
Cost of the repairs at the garage was more than the car is worth.

Was hoping to learn a bit by removing bits, and then increase knowledge of how to do things. Learn as you go etc, with no repurcussions if it all goes wrong, which it did today.

following advise before, located the pinch bolt. Removed the wheel arch liner, dropped the gearbox, removed the outer cover, and then proceeded to round off the inner M6 bolt.:(

Just my luck.

Quite glad I had a look at the car, as was in a much worse state even that I thought. Lots of rust in front inner wheel arches. Also Cylinder 1 is dripping with oil when I removed teh coil pack's. All the others were bone dry.

Cheers of the help though, but car is off to scrap yard in the sky tomorrow.

Thanks

- Dave -

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Quite glad I had a look at the car, as was in a much worse state even that I thought. Lots of rust in front inner wheel arches. Also Cylinder 1 is dripping with oil when I removed teh coil pack's. All the others were bone dry.
That would be due to a numpty spilling oil into the plug hole while refilling or topping up ... nothing sinister.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts