Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I have an aftermarket radio in my 147, it's an ALPINE CDE-9882Ri and I reconnected it soit can be turned on manually at any time as I couldn't stand the factory setting with radio only turning on with ignition (MAR position) or was this a problem only beacuse of aftermarket radio. Nevertheless the problem is that this setup is draining my battery (it's a new battery) very quick - with no driving it drains in 4-5 days. Is there any way to reconnect the radio to fix this issue, but still being able to turn on without ignition. Or is there a possiblitity of a ACC position, of which I heard the 147 doesn't have.

Thanks
Bor Š.

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
usually there are 2 problems with an aftermarket radio in the 147.
First is that there is usually no switched +12 available in the standard ISO plugs, as the oem radio is switched on/off via the CAN bus.
Second locations for switched +12 and permanent +12 are often switched in the standard ISO plugs.

In order to automatically switch radio on/off, you will probably need to pull a wire with switched +12 from the cigarette lighter connection

Whether you will be able to switch radio on with ignition off, will probably depend on the functions of your aftermarket radio....

·
Registered
135 Posts
usually there are 2 problems with an aftermarket radio in the 147.
First is that there is usually no switched +12 available in the standard ISO plugs, as the oem radio is switched on/off via the CAN bus.
Second locations for switched +12 and permanent +12 are often switched in the standard ISO plugs.

In order to automatically switch radio on/off, you will probably need to pull a wire with switched +12 from the cigarette lighter connection

Whether you will be able to switch radio on with ignition off, will probably depend on the functions of your aftermarket radio....
Mine is wired to the cigarette lighter + and as intended it does not give power to the radio when the ignition is off.

I too would like to be able to turn it on when the ignition is off, without draining my battery, so what I am thinking of doing is just getting a 2 position switch and wiring it so I can use 12+ constant when needed, and 12+ switched when I don't wanna kill my battery. OP, if your car doesn't have the ASR switch next to the handbrake, that could be a good spot to mount the 2 position switch and do as I've mentioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is wired to the cigarette lighter + and as intended it does not give power to the radio when the ignition is off.

I too would like to be able to turn it on when the ignition is off, without draining my battery, so what I am thinking of doing is just getting a 2 position switch and wiring it so I can use 12+ constant when needed, and 12+ switched when I don't wanna kill my battery. OP, if your car doesn't have the ASR switch next to the handbrake, that could be a good spot to mount the 2 position switch and do as I've mentioned.
I'll try to locate the wires otherwise I thought about putting a switch on main radio wire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Nice idea for the switch position. In that spot I have the ASR switch and empty one next to it - I could mount it there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'll try to locate the wires otherwise I thought about putting a switch on main radio wire.
Putting a switch just on the main wire may get annoying though, as you'll need to turn it off with the radio every time you leave the car, and it leaves the possibility to forget to do so. If you have the time I would recommend running a wire up to the radio from the cigarette lighter which is relatively straight forward:

I managed to do it by removing just the shifter boot, the radio, cup holder and heater control module, which required some gentle pulling and removing a grand total of 2 bolts. Then you can unplug the cigarette lighter connector through the shifter hole and splice into the 12V+ wire, which is switched by the ignition, exactly what you need. (Cant remember the colour, but just find it with a multimeter, there will be 3 wires on the connector) Then you stick your hand as far as you can forward into the shifter hole and push the wire through to the top. It will seem hard at first, but it is possible. Then you just run it behind the heater controls and cup holders. And boom you have a switched 12V+ wire at your radio.

Doing as I've mentioned with the option of 12V switched, and 12V constant is literally no more work (if you do as I've said above and run a wire from the cigarette lighter), so if you are gonna run the wires to the ASR switch place, might as well just run another one. Wiring should be pretty simple, get a switch with 3 connectors, have the wire going to the radio/headunit 12V switched (usually red) in the middle and then your 12V+ switched (from the cigarette lighter) on one end and your 12V constant (from the wire you have it run now, the original 12V+ constant) on the other and thats it.

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
if you really want to go all-out, you could probably use a timer switch that will keep the power running for an hour or so after ignition off....
Some radio's already have this function built in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you really want to go all-out, you could probably use a timer switch that will keep the power running for an hour or so after ignition off....
Some radio's already have this function built in.
That's actually not a bad idea. I did also realize that doing the 2 position thing would be even simpler as theres no need to run the 12V from the cigarette ligher up to radio. All you would need to do is run the radio switched (usually red) wire, and the 12V constant down to the asr switch place, and run the cigarette lighter wire back down the center console a bit, which would be very easy. Will look into switches that could work, and update how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts