Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm just back from a work assignment overseas (2months!) only to find my poor 147 2.0 Selespeed refusing to start :(. Prior to leaving I followed some advice and locked with the physical key without activating the alarm.

When getting into the car, I can still hear the pump working. Turned the key all the way, only to get a staccato of "klick klick klick" noises coming from the engine. Got out, turned the alarm on and off, tried again but still the same.

Turned only to MAR to see if there were any errors, but dash just gives the OK. All electronics including original SATNAV, radio, lights working fine. Just the engine wouldn't start.

A week before leaving, I took her for the annual service so don't think it would be any component failure. Any ideas ?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
that click is the starter solenoid engaging but the motor not turning.

I would give the battery a charge and all should be okay.

if that don't try rocking the car back of fourth a little see if that frees her off else get a friend to turn the key whilst you give the starter motor a bit of a tap with a metal bar or similar, nothing too hard / heavy though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that click is the starter solenoid engaging but the motor not turning.

I would give the battery a charge and all should be okay.

if that don't try rocking the car back of fourth a little see if that frees her off else get a friend to turn the key whilst you give the starter motor a bit of a tap with a metal bar or similar, nothing too hard / heavy though.
as well as charging ya battery i would drop a gallon of fuel in as well ..........petrol can go stale in time
thanks guys ! much appreciated :) going to go give this a try now

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Shouldn't worry about the petrol.....last week I started an old Suzuki Vitara that I've had sat in my unit for six years........hooked up jump leads to a good battery, turned the ignition on, waited a couple of seconds, turned the key to start, and it started within about 3 revolutions of the engine...

After two months your fuel will be fine......you've just got a flat battery, or maybe a bad earth connection onto the gearbox...

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
+1 sounds like battery mostly flat to me

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rain has been keeping me indoors since flat only has roadside parking :( but I'll use the extra time to ask if there are any steps I should be aware of for charging the batt? Bought this car used so it's missing the manual. Would I have to disconnect the batt to charge it ? And if so, does the radio, key fob have any codes which are in risk of being reset ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The battery needs to be disconnected and taken off the car.
As safety precaution while charging ... place it in a well ventilated area away from any flammable stuff, mind that the battery has sulphuric acid in it, while most of the Lead-Acid battery are sealed you should handle it carefully !!!
Also the car wasn't designed with jump start in mind, so ... don't do it!
The radio will need the code but that's not a problem ... I'm sure you can find someone on this forum that will provide you with the code if you'll post the unit's serial number.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, charged the battery and still no go :( the "klick klick" noises are gone, now it just sounds like the engine is revving but not catching on.

Might just give in and upgrade my AA account for home service

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you go away a lot, get a battery conditioner rather than a battery charger.

If you can park in or up to a garage, there's no need to take the battery out and it should start first time.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
You've probably found out by now, but on the 147 you won't lose the radio code....on the 156 you will but the 147 body computer seems to remember it.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh quick check ......... take oil cap off and when engine being turned check cams are turning ...............
If you go away a lot, get a battery conditioner rather than a battery charger.

If you can park in or up to a garage, there's no need to take the battery out and it should start first time.
Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind next time !

You've probably found out by now, but on the 147 you won't lose the radio code....on the 156 you will but the 147 body computer seems to remember it.......
Yeap :D but unfortunately didn't sort it out myself and had to call the AA. Apparently the chepo charger I bought from Halfords wasn't "reliable" enough ... or according to the AA man anyway. Hooked it up to his, and worked like a charm. just happ that all is now well.

Again, thank you again to all those who posted advise !!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind next time !

Yeap :D but unfortunately didn't sort it out myself and had to call the AA. Apparently the chepo charger I bought from Halfords wasn't "reliable" enough ... or according to the AA man anyway. Hooked it up to his, and worked like a charm. just happ that all is now well.

Again, thank you again to all those who posted advise !!
new battery is in store for you then........we assume loads of angles to find a solution .......but invariably the simple ones are solution ........glad it is sorted:thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts