Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I live in regional queensland ,Australia. Thats first Problem, Second is I own a car no-one knows about around here. Also Alfa is reluctant to help any mechenic sort my car out and want me to tow it 700k's to nearest dealership. So I was driving my 147 selespeed on a short trip away, on the highway it started vutting out when I booted it, so took it easy, got to a nearby town and was driving down the main street and it started bunny hopping and carrying on everytime I sped up or it changed gears, then a while down the street just shut down, Now reads on screen, Selespeed system Failure, Esp System Failure, Immobolizer failure. But when I was on the highway and having drama's it was reading engine management failure (or something along those lines). Now at my wits end, 6 months later, searching forums etc etc, Been to a couple local mechanics who know nothing about these things, Also paid one to replace selespeed pump as I had hunch maybe that was the problem but with little luck except before it wouldn't select gears but now it will, Was using some selespeed fluid prior for a year or so (abouyt 1 litre over course of year) but never a sign of a leak, Which lead to me checking gearbox oil, but not sure on what should be in there. I love my alfa but am at my wits end, If any of this makes sence to anyone please HELP. I have gottne the afladiag program and interface but it won't connect wioth my ecu, waiting on response from alfa diag, but litterally almost over it. Please Please HELP.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
ask lads in here about connecting alfadiag some wizards on this forum .change your title to selespeed and alfadiag should bring them in :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Ok - first question - Does your yellow engine management light come on at all when you turn the ignition on ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, but a few other lights do come up, I might also mention, I have also replaced the battery.
The only lights that show are the ESP light then the handbrake light and the seatbelt light, But on the display the three warnings come up one after the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, had installed new battery but at least 12 months beforehand, just read alot of forums that said battery can often cause drama's, So just bought another, Tested new one with multi-metre and it's all good.

D

·
0 Posts
If then eml isnt coming on at all then your injection system is the problem rather than the selespeed side.
If your battery connections are tight then check the earths on the ecu and the back of the cylinder head, even if the nut on the one on the head seems tight try wiggling the wires anyway.

I posted I think the wiring diagram for a 147 last week or so I'll try to find the posts for you but check earths first

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, The alfa diag program tells me it is unable to connect and to check the interface, The interface is connected as the green led light comes up, and it's the cable that alfa diag reccomended but then I tried fes this morning and again will not connect, just throwing money hand over fist at this vehicle that has done only 82k, Cheers for the suggestions Davffc I will try those, not sure why i would have these faults showing though with these vehicle's I guess anything is possible.

L

·
0 Posts
re: Alfadiag, did you install the lastest FTDI driver? what Op system is on your laptop?

re: FES: did you select the correct Comms port [ F2 ] before pressing F10?

to me your issue sounds more electrical than mechanical. its not a 'Selespeed' issue as such its a wiring issue in a Selespeed :)

Check the battery terminals are both fully tight, check the earth strap is connected going onto the chassis leg near & under the front of the battery tray. Check the earth strap onto the gear box, under the battery tray. Check the earth onto the ECU, located on top of the throttle body. Check the fuse/realy box, tilt up the module & check the connection underneath the fuse/relays. All this stuff is DIY'able & free :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
excellent Lacken i will try that, Thanks for your helpful response, I have put AD on one laptop with the latest windows and the FES on a dell laptop with windows vista, but with the FES I do the interface scan and comes up showing it in com11 but doesn't offer me com11 when I select the interface, i see now why no one buys these, They are so difficult, Aussie cars if you have fuel,air and spark you go, lol. Not quite the same response as a euro car but I'm beginning to think it's a small sacrifice. I installed the ftdi driver that came with the vag cable too by the way but no change. Cheers everyone for your responses, Giving me some good idea's. Does the gearbox have a low oil sensor does anyone know? also would that cause a problem like this do you think?

L

·
0 Posts
download FTDI driver from here, use the VCP type:

FTDI Chip Home Page

for FES change Com11 to com 2, via 'control panel / ports ' .... something like that, I'm running XP so not sure what the correct route is.

there is oil sensor for the gear box BUT the hydraulic system of the selespeed robot is contactly monitioring ths hydraulic pressure, typically 45bar min to 55bar max

L

·
0 Posts
download FTDI driver from here, use the VCP type:

FTDI Chip Home Page

for FES change Com11 to com 2, via 'control panel / ports ' .... something like that, I'm running XP so not sure what the correct route is.

there is oil sensor for the gear box BUT the hydraulic system of the selespeed robot is contactly monitioring ths hydraulic pressure, typically 45bar min to 55bar max

D

·
0 Posts
I think in this instance the ad connection is a bit of a red herring. The injection system triggers the other systems in the car hence the "other" failures.
The eml(injection) light isnt coming on at all hence the problems.
See here
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/309920-asr-immobiliser-failure.html

I've got a 147 up at workshop, I'll see if I can connect to engine ecu with the earth removed shortly and report back

D

·
0 Posts
Ok guys as i thought with earth fr ecu disconnected the eml isnt coming on. The code asr failures are appearing and cannot connect to ecu with fes.
I think the op needs to look at injection side/earths

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
excellent guys, I'll keep fiddling around and report back soon. Cheers heaps for all your help, Can't thankyou enough, i'll report back with any change. I checked the gearbox earth from battery and it was all good, could't locate the ecu earth but all wires on it felt good and tight,. Battery Terminals are all good, Checked and re-tightened, I'll keep on keeping on. Cheers again.

L

·
0 Posts
the ecu for the engine is on top of the throttle body, follow the air intake pipe until the back of the engine, there is a sqaure shaped module with 2 large connection onto it, thats the ecu. the earth should be on the fornt of it held in place by a Torx20 headed bolt.

D

·
0 Posts
You need to check the one thats bolted to the top rear of the cylinder head ( 13mm nut ). If you find the one Lacken156 refers to check that but the other one must also be checked.
Take off the silver engine cover and it'll be easier to see down behind the black rocker cover
No 5 on this photograph is the ecu http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/header_158-800.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts