Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an mot today and the car has failed on 'parking brake efficiency below requirments', however i have replaced handbrake cables, disks and pads 4 months ago, so that obviously rules out any of those of being at fault. Does anybody have any idea as to what could be causing the problem as i haven't got a clue??????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have heard there is a correct procedure to adjust the handbrake, but all i did was tighten it from under the handbrake lever. does anybody know the procedure?

D

·
0 Posts
When you put the new discs and pads on did you pump the pedal to move the pistons out before adjusting handbrake ?
And when you were rewinding the calipers to put new pads in did the pistons move back in freely ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the pistons did wind back freely. and no i didnt pump the brakes before tightening the handbrake. would that be the cause?

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Yes, most likely....the correct procedure is to slacken the cable, change the pads (winding back the calipers first, of course) then pump out the pads by pressing the brake pedal repeatedly for say 10 or twelve times until the pedal is firm....then adjust the cable at the lever end until you get the desired 3-4 clicks before the wheel locks.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts