Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So during my morning commute, I started to notice a strong diesel smell. Stopped the car, got out and saw a HUGE puddle of diesel underneath the car. Diesel started running down the road...

Anyone have any idea what this could be? My best bet is a failed fuel pump, but can't say for sure. I left the car at someone nearby's house.

No errors on dash etc.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Front or rear of the car?

Not heard of the pumps failing, but the bits around them have gone before...

I've cracked the sensor on the bottom of the fuel filter before and pumped out a tank of fuel that way, not uncommon for a new fuel filter to be fitted without removing the old O-rings first and leaking out that way, and it has been known for the HP fuel rail pipes to fatigue/crack over time... All of this would cause a leak from the engine bay..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front or rear of the car?

Not heard of the pumps failing, but the bits around them have gone before...

I've cracked the sensor on the bottom of the fuel filter before and pumped out a tank of fuel that way, not uncommon for a new fuel filter to be fitted without removing the old O-rings first and leaking out that way, and it has been known for the HP fuel rail pipes to fatigue/crack over time... All of this would cause a leak from the engine bay..
Front of the car, looks like its dripping from my undertray.

I'll have the car on a truck to the Alfa Service Center in Cape Town - one good thing from the dealer was the warranty.

I'll update as soon as I can!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If it was still running fine it's likely to be the fuel return pipe leaking. The rubber part across the injectors quite likely. Cheap easy fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for all the suggestions.

Checked the car in at Alfa (I know, but I have a warranty) and turned out to be the fuel return line.

One of the clips came off, and the pipe popped off. Replaced it and no more puddle of diesel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts