Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my new 147 which I hope you can help with.

Problem: When I pull back on the wipers stalk, nothing at all happens- on my old 147 this would activate the front washers and the wipers at the same time ( as it should do). When I push forwards on the wiper stalk, the rear wiper activates ( as it should) but at the same time I have washer fluid coming out the front jets, but nothing from the rear washer jet :confused:
It seems like something is connected up wrong but I'm not sure where to start, I hate fault finding jobs like this. Has anybody got any ideas as to what it could be before I start pulling my steering cowling apart and my washer fluid container :confused:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds to me like there's a fault on the front wash wipe system (maybe the stalk) so the Previous owner has swapped the plugs over on the washer pumps so he can wash the front screen if he needs to by flicking the rear wiper on?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like there's a fault on the front wash wipe system (maybe the stalk) so the Previous owner has swapped the plugs over on the washer pumps so he can wash the front screen if he needs to by flicking the rear wiper on?
I had a little look today around the washer bottle but didn't really know what I was looking for. The stalk it's self feels fine and just how it should, but when I pull back on the lever there isn't even the sound of the pump trying to pump it through so it mustn't be connected up somewhere. Reading through the past sevice receipts and work it's had done, there is a few mentions of the front wash/wipe not working correctly so it must've been a long lasting problem. I reckon the next thing to do is to get the washer container out and check out the wiring around there

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
normally, re the wash, there is just 1 pump for front and rear.
Rotating 1 way, it supplies water to front, rotating other way it supplies water to the rear.
So supplying water to front or rear is just a matter of changing polarity on the pump motor connection.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to fix this problem today, I've undone the coolant tank and exposed the washer tank underneath. Everything looks connected up as it should down there, but I had someone check the connection on the connecter plug as I pulled back on the wiper stalk inside the car- nothing lit up. However when I pushed forward on the stalk, the connecter lit up, so there isn't any power there when I pull back on the stalk.
Anybody got any ideas before I take of the steering wheel cowling and have a look under there?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I would agree to an extent, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread the 147 has a single pump that has 2 outlets to feed front and back, one assumes the windscreen stopped working because of either the pump or the stalk, so someone swapped the hoses over on the pump as having washers on the windscreen in more important.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would agree to an extent, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread the 147 has a single pump that has 2 outlets to feed front and back, one assumes the windscreen stopped working because of either the pump or the stalk, so someone swapped the hoses over on the pump as having washers on the windscreen in more important.

All the best

Pub
Hi Pub :thumbs:

Looking through past MOT's and services ( only had the car a few weeks) it seems it's been a long standing problem. I think your right in saying that somebody has swapped the hoses over so the washers on the front work rather than back. I've removed the arch lining and the washer bottle and now swapped the hoses over and alas the rear wiper and washer work together as they should. However both front wiper and wash mechanism still doesn't work so it must be something to do with the stalk which I'll go and check out now :thumbs:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
183 Posts
As know it's nothing to do with the pump now, it can only be a problem with the stalk. I've taken the cowling off but there's so much behind there I don't really know what I'm looking for! Would it be worth just buying a second hand unit like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROME...753?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339ead4971

rather than trying to fault find what's wrong with my stalk
For 15 quid, its an instant fix if it is the stalks at fault, you could strip yours down and spend hours trying to fathom out whats wrong with them and still end up replacing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For 15 quid, its an instant fix if it is the stalks at fault, you could strip yours down and spend hours trying to fathom out whats wrong with them and still end up replacing.
Yes, it will certainly cut out hours of trying to fix mine. Thanks for the help :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Are you sure its not a fuse or a relay?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure its not a fuse or a relay?
I checked the fuse and all was good there, I'm not good with electrics so wouldn't know about checking the relay...

All I do know, which is confusing me, is that the stalk works fine going forwards, but when I pull back there is nothing, not even a sound from the pump

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
As know it's nothing to do with the pump now, it can only be a problem with the stalk.
Yep, I'd go along with that.

If it's not just the washers not working when you pull the stalk towards you but the wipers not moving either, I'd say the stalk is the cause.

Pub

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After a bit of further reading, it seems the stalk switch may be faulty, any ideas on how I'd go about changing that?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for the help, had the stalk replaced today and all is well. Washers and wipers working back and front just how they should. Happy days :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts