Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a look at what I drove last Saturday :D

I took a drive through to his house in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape (South Africa)

John (aka Monstro 3.7) let me drive his well known Alfa 147 Gta 3.7, thanx John it was a real blast!

The car have wildish cams with a upped compression ratio of 11.2:1

Quife Limited Slip diff set at 145nm lock, its quite noisy when not locked almost sounds like a driveshaft is stuffed.

Shorter ratio gearbox (same as the 156 2.5).

Full coil over suspension with strut braces front and rear.

A set of 19” BBS CH Alloys fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1’s is the only visual difference apart from the 147 Cup front spoiler.

Autodelta upgraded discs (330mm as standard) with upgraded pistons in standard calipers and powder coated in yellow.

0-100km/h in 4.something seconds.

This car has immense traction off the line for a front wheel drive, you can even abuse it off the line and it doesn’t complaint.

Then there is the engine … and what an engine!!!

You can floor it in any gear at just about any revs and it just goes like a batt outa hell.

I have driven various V8’s and turbocharged 6 cylinder cars and very few of them will get close to this little number.

As long as the engine is above 1500rpm it pushes you into the seat with quite a force.

John even pulled off from a stop street (rolling at about 5km/h) in 6th, the car pulled cleanly without any jurks or shatters.

Where the car also impressed a lot was through the twisty bits especially high speed cornering, it sticks like glue and have almost zero body roll.

This car is really an all out project, not just a strong engine in a otherwise standard car.

Its about the package with this car, not just straight line acceleration. (very much Porsche GT3 like)

This car was extensively developed by John with the help of Dawie De Villiers (Glenwood Motors) and Juno (Autodelta UK).

John even had a sticker custom made modifying Glenwood’s normal stickers add Dawie’s name and 3.7

He kindly gave me a similar cap as a gift aswell.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The cars exhaust was built by wildcat in sa. The car wasnt in the speed and sound but was featured in MAX Power magazine a while ago... What a machine!!! :wow: The car was built by the best...Dawie de Villiers / glenwood motors.:cool:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Is this the guy who had a slating on here, by people who thought he was talking BS ?:)

looks like a stunning Car and all credit to him:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Is this the guy who had a slating on here, by people who thought he was talking BS ?:)

Yes he used to be a member here a while ago now. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts

Yup I heard some people "thought" he was talking BS... Were those people now???:tut:
Well the car is for real and I can vouch for that. What an awesome car!:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I was showing an Alfa specialst friend of mine, an exhaust that i had made for me by a South African Guy now based in Cardiff and he said that years of sanctions in SA made it very difficult to import stuff for cars and as a result some of the best fabricators and tuners sprang up out of necessity.

Awesome looking car that and the spec looks pretty special too:wow:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup I heard some people "thought" he was talking BS... Were those people now???:tut:
Well the car is for real and I can vouch for that. What an awesome car!:thumbs:
+1 What he said!

Apparently he was banned of the site for people thinking he made it all up:confused:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
That car is mega but the front spoiler looks poo IMO :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Immense machine but that front spoiler is gash
I have to agree, although it may serve a purpose rather than just for looks.

+1 What he said!

Apparently he was banned of the site for people thinking he made it all up:confused:
I dont think folks thought he made it all up, just details here and there may have got a little confused.

Personally, I thought it was great having him on the forum what with his experience of tuning and all that. :)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I think Pabloss's may be quicker when he gets it back from AD because of the SC but I have just read through the original Monstro Thread and that is one hell of a NA lump in that car and i bet it sounds brilliant :cool:

It is a real Shame that he was "interogated" no wonder he got a bit upset :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John is a very nice guy (little short tempered ;) )and you can believe what he tells you,
he have proven that to me time and time again!
He is a good friend of Dawie De Villiers and so is my dad, so I have quite a good reference of him.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts