Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ,

I have recently bought a new plate for my OH Alfa 147 and have previously used heavy duty pads to stick a plate on which did the trick nicely. I notice the front of the alfa plate curves slightly - would these pads do the trick or do i need to drill them :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
You should be fine. I've not got a 147 but have stuck plates on my GT, 2x GTVs and and old Merc which had fairly curved plates. I suggest warming the bumper up a little as the cold weather at the moment doesn't help the pads stick.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah they are fine, I got the ones form Halfords and they haven't let go over 3 years and about 80,000 miles of driving.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
I've seen too many plates hanging off or scattered across the road, so I always screw mine on.

Other people seam happy with sticky pads though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it didn't work, I had 8 heavy duty fixing pads on there and it kept lifting at the ends, time to get it drilled.

The back however was perfect

·
Registered
387 Posts
Have you used the pads or the long tape type ones? I've just looked at mine and I used the tape one as you can completely cover the back of it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I always fit new plates when I buy a car as they inevitably have cracks and I buy them from Design and order reflective acrylic licence number plates they supply 4x sticky pads per plate (and screws). As I mentioned, if you make sure the surface is clean (scrubbed with fairy liquid) and then warm the bumper and plate slightly (if you're fitting them in the winter) you shouldn't have any problems. It can help to flex the plate a bit if they're going to be curved (like on a GT etc).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used sticky pads in the past with no issues including curved surfaces or a small area. As said, ensuring that the surfaces are perfectly clean (give the car a wash behind the number plate in addition to going over with white spirit/pre-paint or alcohol wipes) should ensure that they are stuck on well :). That's with the thin items too (the 1mm thick pads).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts