Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi out there, maybe someone smarter than me can help.

1) The park lights come on with ignition and stay on.
2) Fog lights don't work, the relays work, switches work, there's power to lights, nothing happening.
3) Low brake fluid warning comes on, brake/handbrake light always on, handbrake switch checked ok.
4) Cruise control not activating

They are not deal breakers but would fail MOT.

Cheers. apday59

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It might be worth disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and see if that helps.

Regards fog lights you must remember that electricity has to complete the circuit and get back to the battery via an earth wire or earth connection. If you have 12V at the bulbs but they aren't working then that is probably either the bulb blown (I trust you have checked that) or an earth fault. Depending on how you have checked the power at the lights it can still be a power problem (bad connection or high resistance on relay contacts) but the theory and practice are too long to explain here. I would focus on checking bulbs and earth.

Cruise control not working is probably linked to the brake / handbrake lights being on. If these lights are on the car will think you have the brakes on and cruise control won't work. Fixing the brake light problem will probably fix the cruise control. I would start by checking that the brake light switch at the brake pedal is working properly.

Regards low fluid warning if you have checked the level the it is back to testing the fluid level switch.

I would offer help if you were near by but.................

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be worth disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and see if that helps.

Regards fog lights you must remember that electricity has to complete the circuit and get back to the battery via an earth wire or earth connection. If you have 12V at the bulbs but they aren't working then that is probably either the bulb blown (I trust you have checked that) or an earth fault. Depending on how you have checked the power at the lights it can still be a power problem (bad connection or high resistance on relay contacts) but the theory and practice are too long to explain here. I would focus on checking bulbs and earth.

Cruise control not working is probably linked to the brake / handbrake lights being on. If these lights are on the car will think you have the brakes on and cruise control won't work. Fixing the brake light problem will probably fix the cruise control. I would start by checking that the brake light switch at the brake pedal is working properly.

Regards low fluid warning if you have checked the level the it is back to testing the fluid level switch.

I would offer help if you were near by but.................
Foglights work when I earth the switch side of the relay. Tried another switch panel, no good.

Brake lights work. It's the indicator in the tacho that stays on. Brake fluid full. Pulled plug off bottom of reservoir, open circuit no change, bridged, no change.

Have done the 45 minute disconnect trick, nothing.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Brake lights work. It's the indicator in the tacho that stays on. Brake fluid full. Pulled plug off bottom of reservoir, open circuit no change, bridged, no change.
I had that on an old 75 and the switch unit in the reservoir had died ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foglights work when I earth the switch side of the relay. Tried another switch panel, no good.

Have done the 45 minute disconnect trick, nothing.
To Kandlbarrett

Thanks anyhow for your assistance.

cheers, apday59

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
apday59 it sounds like you may have a problem with a multi connector or, possibly, ecu. I don't have a wiring diagram for the 147 so have to leave it to others now. It is probably worth checking all the major earth connections from battery to body and battery to gearbox. Simple enough to disconnect clean and reconnect both. Fairly sure a few electrical problems have been fixed by cleaning those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts