Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

After doing a Google search, it turns out that the wiper linkage on the right hand side of Alfa Romeo 147s is a particular weak spot.

Rather that replace my broken wiper linkage with a new or second hand unit, I thought I’d have a go at repairing it.

Following are the steps I used to make the repair. So far, the fix has held. All up, it cost about AU$15.00, and it took a day (with overnight drying time) to do.

Apologies for the upside down photos... if someone can suggest how to fix that, let me know.

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. Here’s a shot of the broken piece of the wiper linkage. This is on the driver’s side of my right hand drive 147. Plastic clamped into a metal tube… who knew that wouldn’t last?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. I started by filing a groove into the ribbing on the plastic wiper spindle housing. This is to house the reinforcing wire that I used to clamp and hold the broken pieces of plastic back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3. Next, I drilled a 3mm hole through an existing clamping indent in the metal linkage tube. The hole is used to run the reinforcing wire through in order to clamp the broken pieces of plastic back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4. A piece of wire is fed through the hole in the linkage tube, and around the body of the plastic wiper spindle housing. The wire fits into the grooves I filed earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5. The broken pieces of plastic are glued together with a suitable epoxy adhesive (eg plastic weld), and they are clamped together by joining and twisting together the ends of the reinforcing wire. Again, you can see how the wire sits in the grooves filed into the plastic spindle, and how it passes through the hole drilled in the metal linkage tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6. Tighten the wire twist with pliers. Do this before the epoxy has gone off.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7. Clip the wire twist and push the end down into the cavity in the plastic wiper spindle.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8. The repaired area is then covered with epoxy putty to strengthen the join and cover the reinforcing wire. The putty I used is the two-part stuff that comes in a stick. You cut off as much as you require and then knead the two parts together.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10. The whole repair is then covered with a layer of fibreglass and resin. Probably just “belt-and-braces” at this point, but I already had a fibreglass repair kit handy, so why not?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
11. A light sanding of the fibreglass coating, then a coat of silver epoxy enamel to protect everything (forgot to actually photograph that bit), and the repaired wiper arm linkage is ready to go back in the car. The wipers lined up correctly, worked without scraping or hitting anything… so we’re good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi All,

After doing a Google search, it turns out that the wiper linkage on the right hand side of Alfa Romeo 147s is a particular weak spot.

Rather that replace my broken wiper linkage with a new or second hand unit, I thought I’d have a go at repairing it.

Following are the steps I used to make the repair. So far, the fix has held. All up, it cost about AU$15.00, and it took a day (with overnight drying time) to do.

Apologies for the upside down photos... if someone can suggest how to fix that, let me know.

Cheers,

Nick
If the photo was taken with your iPad try taking the photo with the iPad home button on the right. I’m left handed and used to hold my iPad with the button on the left and was always posting inverted photographs.
Great fix with the wipers. I look forward to seeing how permanent it is. I replaced mine about 2 years ago due to fatiguing at the point you mentioned. Bloody expensive whole new assembly...but the same thing will eventually happen. Your fix is good to know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the photo was taken with your iPad try taking the photo with the iPad home button on the right. I’m left handed and used to hold my iPad with the button on the left and was always posting inverted photographs.
Great fix with the wipers. I look forward to seeing how permanent it is. I replaced mine about 2 years ago due to fatiguing at the point you mentioned. Bloody expensive whole new assembly...but the same thing will eventually happen. Your fix is good to know.
Photos were taken on an iPhone, but they appear the right way up on my PC. When uploaded, some of them flipped. Strangely, I rotated one photo so that it was upside down on my PC, and then uploaded it again, but it was still upside down on the forum.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Photos were taken on an iPhone, but they appear the right way up on my PC. When uploaded, some of them flipped. Strangely, I rotated one photo so that it was upside down on my PC, and then uploaded it again, but it was still upside down on the forum.
Yep, I’d just invert your iPhone, take a photo and see if it works. Since there is no printing on the face of an iPad and the cover conceals the attitude of the apple there is no real indication as to when the device is right way up or inverted, especially since the on-screen image always appears upright no matter which way the device is held. I’m assuming the same for an iPhone. See if I’m correct. It worked for me with my iPad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts