Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I've got a problem with my 2002 Alfa 147.
I can be driving along and the engine just cuts out for no apparent reason, there are no warning lights or any indication that there is a problem.
Does anyone have any idea as to what's going off please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, I'll change it out.
Is it much of a job or just one out, one in?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
One in one out. But you'll be doing it blind from the top. Its by the starter motor round the back of the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Long arms a mirror Allen hex and socket drive , can't remember size think it's 5mm you'll need a bit of string trace old plug to new, it's also clipped to a fastener behind the block , a bit more fiddling , remove air intake at throttle body it helps with access and patience .

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Its basically below the starter motor. Its one hex bolt. Usually quite easy to get at but as you can't see it its awkward.

Remove a little bit of the throttle body plastics to allow your arm to reach down to get it.

You can see it better visually underneath the car. But unless you have arm's like Mr tickle you won't get a socket in there from underneath.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, guess that is this weekend spoken for, next job is the clutch on the 156, oh the joys of owning alfas lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well driving to work this morning I had to accelerate a bit hard coming out of a junction, I hit just over 4000 revs and the car "coughed" and ground to a holt, got the car home thinking now is the time to change the crank positioning sensor. Half an hour later and job done but still no joy with the car starting. The engine is turning over but it soundslike only half the engine is cranking ( if that makes sense ).....the sound seems too light and I could hear air being sucked in through the air filter....could the timing have slipped or is it another sensor issue?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Possibly cam position sensor.

Time to download MES or buy a cheap reader and get the fault codes read. There are plenty of faults that get stored in the engine ecu that don't cause the engine light to come on.

I would read the codes and note them.
Clear the codes.
Try to start the car and see what new codes you have.

The old codes are for interest only and may be VERY old. Work on the cause of the new codes.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
If the cambelt has gone, it has now gone beyond the plugin diag stage....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
DavidC: very true about cambelt but worth reading the codes. Also removing the top cam cover is the next quick job to look at the belt as is doing a compression test. To be honest he may be better off buying a cheap reader than struggling with the initial frustrations of setting up MES. A good and guaranteed lead for MES is almost the price of a cheap reader and we could be fault finding MES for ages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys, finally got to the problem, the balance shaft belt had broken. I replaced the belt, changed the cam shaft position sensor and thought all was good until I turned the key and the timing belt snapped so what I initally thought would be a quick fix has now turned into a project lol.
I have another issue with the heater on my 156, I can turn the selector to feet, windscreen etc and I can hear the vent positions being changed but the heater fan doesn't work, I've checked all the fuses in the fuse box in the car and all seems ok, is there another fuse the fan runs off or are the heater fans prone to failure?
Thank you all for your help with the issue I had with the engine cutting out.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Hi guys, finally got to the problem, the balance shaft belt had broken. I replaced the belt, changed the cam shaft position sensor and thought all was good until I turned the key and the timing belt snapped so what I initally thought would be a quick fix has now turned into a project lol.
Your cambelt had already failed.
The engine will run without the balance belt.

Also, how did you replace the camshaft sensor without removing the cambelt...??

·
Registered
842 Posts
There is a resistor pack that controls the fan speed. Quite often the fan will work only on full but I have seen them fail completely.
The resistor is bolted up near the fan motor, accesible via passenger footwell.

And +1 to David C' comment above.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts