Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've a 2001 ALfa 147, with the horn having failed (Again). Over past few weeks, I''ve noticed that the horn has changed pitch whilst pressed, sometimes working only occasionally.

This happened a few years ago, cost ~€180 to repair at alfa garage in Dublin.

I now have to complete NCT (Ireland's MOT equivalent), so need to get fixed ASAP.

I'm told that this is a job that can be done by myself. Can someone let me know where to buy a clock spring relatively cheaply.

The steps I thick are reqauired are below, please advise if incorrect or any steps are omitted.

1) Remove battery +ve for at least 15minutes before starting to allow airbag system to power off completely.
2) Remove the airbag from steering wheel by removing the 2 * screws on back of steering wheel
3) Is there a need to remove steering wheel next or is clock spring now exposed? If steering wheel must be removed, how do you do so?
4) Can the existing clock spring be repaired or do these things simply need to replaced?
5) BEsides plugging into the car lead, any special steps requied with installing switch etc

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I have a spare clock spring from a 99 156, can you post a pic of your or i'll show a pic of mine ot you.

if you want it we can sort out funds.

wher ein Dublin are youo as i might be in 'da smoke' mid week. :thumbs:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haven't tried to take it out yet, as unsure how to?

Also, if I take it out, can I reinstall the airbag and reattach the battery, so just have no clock spring installed temporarily?

Unsure if this casues a car error message or other unsafe condition.

Don't want the airbag going off in my face ;)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
pic of clock spring, if its any use PM me.:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
haven't tried to take it out yet, as unsure how to?

Also, if I take it out, can I reinstall the airbag and reattach the battery, so just have no clock spring installed temporarily?

Unsure if this casues a car error message or other unsafe condition.

Don't want the airbag going off in my face ;)

disconnect battery, leave for 15 min's, or longer if you want :)

5mm allen thro 2 holes at the rear of the steering wheel to remove the airbag module from the steering wheel frame ... handle with caution.

the clock spring should now be visible, shouldn't need to be fully removed to compare to picture above :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I beleive cars with ESP/ASR/VDC or whatever use a different clockspring - worth an EPer check before buying one for a pre -02 156.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Yes I believe the 147 and face lift 156 use a different clock spring than the early 156

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i suspect you both are correct thats why i posted the pciture :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can I take the clock spring out and replace the airbag on sterering wheel without causing any problems (don't care if I lose the steering controls for the moment)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts