Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago after filling my 147 1.6 TS with petrol, I saw the check engine...alive. I thought that it might be the quality of the fuel. After a stop I started the engine and it seemed that the problem had gone.A week later and after a refuel (about 20lt) it came on again. I paid a visit to my mechanic and the diagnose was camshaft rotation sensor. We arranged to change it in a few weeks with the timing belt. Since then the engine check comes on when I refuel, and comes off after a few kms. It can't be a coincidence.
Is there any connection between the sensor and the fuel tank ? If you asked me some time ago I would find it ridiculous but I'm not sure any more.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
That is very odd.
The only thing that comes to mind is the tank breather system having an issue with a full tank.

No connection to the camshaft sensor though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is very odd.
The only thing that comes to mind is the tank breather system having an issue with a full tank.

No connection to the camshaft sensor though.
Thanks for your answer. The thing is that I never fill my tank (except on long journeys but now with covid I haven't done it for a year). It usually has no more than 20 lts.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Perhaps the sensor doesn't work correctly when it is already warm, in the same way a crankshaft sensor becomes faulty.

Once the engine is running, the electronics seen to remember which cycle the engine is on, so once it starts, it runs ok.

I'm guessing the fault only occurs after refueling as that is perhaps the only time the engine starts when fully warm.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps the sensor doesn't work correctly when it is already warm, in the same way a crankshaft sensor becomes faulty.

Once the engine is running, the electronics seen to remember which cycle the engine is on, so once it starts, it runs ok.

I'm guessing the fault only occurs after refueling as that is perhaps the only time the engine starts when fully warm.
I'll change it anyway. This sensor is only a hall element the same some turntables use to keep steady rpms. It has practically no chance to fail. I suspect that the only problem it may have can be due to dust or something like that. The thing is that you can change it with timing belt so I can't take the chance to clean it because if it is really faulty I'll have to pay a lot of money (triple of the sensor value).
And Fruity another thing. I have contacted Springcoil through email many times but nobody's answered. I got into their shop page on ebay where they had a lot of products, and I found only 3-5 items. I suspect that they might be out of business (?)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
With sensors, there could be enough degradation of the wiring to cause issues due to age. It is not uncommon in Britain to see this.

In regards to Springcoil, the Furlough scheme means many businesses in Britain are only operating with reduced workforce to fulfill contractual obligations, so it is not uncommon to find it is difficult to contact them; especially by email.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts