Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I’m a first time poster, but I find the forum here extremely useful! I drive a 53 Reg 147, 2.0TS Lusso. It has developed a very annoying problem that I can’t get to the bottom of. I’m really hoping someone here may be able to help.

About 6 months ago, my o/s rear wheel starting making a squeaking noise whilst driving on the motorway. I stopped, and the wheel & brake disc were red hot. The wheel & disc were cold on the other side as you would expect. I let the car cool down and then drove slowly home. The next day, I drove the car to the garage, but they couldn’t find a problem. They greased the calliper, and I went on my way.

About a month later, the same thing happened again, I took the car back to the garage and they said they had found a problem with the handbrake cable. They replaced it, and again, I went on my way.

About a month later, it came back again! I took the car to a different garage, and they couldn’t find a problem. They re-greased the calliper.

About a month later, it came back again (there’s a trend here!) I was getting so fed up with it at this point, I asked the garage to just replace the calliper. They did.

However, I am still having the same issue! I’m completely lost with what to do. In a bit more detail, it tends to appear after approximately 30min-1hour of driving. The wheel begins to squeak. It is a fairly quiet, but constant squeak. This is in some way connected to the braking system as the squeaking stops when lightly applying the brakes or handbrake. After stopping, the brake disc is extremely hot (and much hotter than the other side). After leaving the car overnight, the problem has completely gone away.

Any help would be really appreciated. The garage are totally lost, as am I!

·
Registered
989 Posts
In both my previous Alfa 156's, squeaking wheels were only resolved by changing my discs and pads. It for louder and louder until I changed them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hello

I’m a first time poster, but I find the forum here extremely useful! I drive a 53 Reg 147, 2.0TS Lusso. It has developed a very annoying problem that I can’t get to the bottom of. I’m really hoping someone here may be able to help.

About 6 months ago, my o/s rear wheel starting making a squeaking noise whilst driving on the motorway. I stopped, and the wheel & brake disc were red hot. The wheel & disc were cold on the other side as you would expect. I let the car cool down and then drove slowly home. The next day, I drove the car to the garage, but they couldn’t find a problem. They greased the calliper, and I went on my way.

About a month later, the same thing happened again, I took the car back to the garage and they said they had found a problem with the handbrake cable. They replaced it, and again, I went on my way.

About a month later, it came back again! I took the car to a different garage, and they couldn’t find a problem. They re-greased the calliper.

About a month later, it came back again (there’s a trend here!) I was getting so fed up with it at this point, I asked the garage to just replace the calliper. They did.

However, I am still having the same issue! I’m completely lost with what to do. In a bit more detail, it tends to appear after approximately 30min-1hour of driving. The wheel begins to squeak. It is a fairly quiet, but constant squeak. This is in some way connected to the braking system as the squeaking stops when lightly applying the brakes or handbrake. After stopping, the brake disc is extremely hot (and much hotter than the other side). After leaving the car overnight, the problem has completely gone away.

Any help would be really appreciated. The garage are totally lost, as am I!
The handbrake cable problem.

My Authorised garage never felt compelled to do anything else but adjust ,remove and replace everything but the real course to the problem.
Handbrakecables
Start here and learn to do it yourself.
William Lütken:cheese:
http://alfaromeo156-william.blogspot.com/:)

Yes it the brakesrear part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. A mis-shapen disc sounds more plausible to me than the handbrake cable. What makes you think it could be the handbrake? The noise starts after 30min-1hour of driving (without touching the handbrake). Maybe I am missing something?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I'd guess you have a caliper at fault, if anything, but maybe you should replace the rear disks just to be sure, you could probably buy cheap ones as they have the least braking force, but I'd be tempted to fully wind the pistons into the calipers, rather than just enough to clear the pads, you might have a sticky piston

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for your help. A mis-shapen disc sounds more plausible to me than the handbrake cable. What makes you think it could be the handbrake? The noise starts after 30min-1hour of driving (without touching the handbrake). Maybe I am missing something?
Why !
Been there done that!!!!!! :cry:
All my previous alfas:lol: (with selfadjusting rear brakes) have had that problem.Authorised garage did not bother to investigate the handbrakecables,they just put new disc's and pads onto the rear my car , when I gently asked them to change the right rear wheelbearing.
A sticky,rusty handbrakecable does'nt allow the caliper pistons to travel enough back when brakes are not used,they (disc + pads) will slowly heat up while driving making a faint noise gradually increasing and finally it will be very hot!!!!!
The handbrake cables is a very cheap and easy thing to change.be aware that an overheated pad sometimes break !
look at the lovely homepage again I did it :) https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156brakesrear/
remember to adjust to 2 mm distance between disc and pads as stated in the guide!!!!!

William Lütken Alfa Romeo 156

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yep sounds like the handbrake:) try not using it when parked for a week or so(obviously leave car in gear) always do this with mine:thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts